Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java compatible browser

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have been trying for some time to access an interactive site but get a prompt saying that a Java Compatible Browser is required. I am running IE 7. I have uninstalled and re-installed java, and have run an update just now, but still the same message. This problem has only started recently as I was accessing the site successfully before. Can anyone help please?

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I don't believe the W3C actually supports Java, but it can be used on browsers. I would try firefox or opera and see if you have the same problem. If you still can't access the java site then goto Sun Java homepage.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You should have no problem.
Have you tried using Firefox? I prefer it over IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Requirements for java.

http://www.monash.ed...browserset.html

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks both for the advice. I have installed Firefox which already seems far better and faster! The chat site works again, - Just goes to show that IE runs its own routine.

Intend to leave IE installed until I am fully conversant with Firefox. Will that affect Firefox at all, or should I uninstall it straight away?

Thanks again for advice

:whistling:

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Leave IE installed for the security updates to Windows.

start/control panel/automatic updates/automatic checked/time

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Also the fact that IE is incredibly difficult to uninstall :whistling:

And if you want to have fun with your shiny new Firefox, try some of the add-ons, my favourite right now are mouse gestures.