Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A whole bunch of problems at once...

• Please log in to reply

End

End

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
To start off, I am computer repair savy. I took 3 years of diagnostic classes, and installed componesnts and fix various hardware and software problems. So don't be afraid to say things that a normal person would know. Anyways here is the story:

Last saturday, I ridded my computer of dust. I made sure no dust was left behind in my computer, and reconnected it. I turn it on, everything was working, and I went to go watch a movie. I come back, and smell a burning smell, an electrical one. My screen was black, and I got no response from my mouse or keyboard. My fans were still running, so I knew it wasn't off. I turned off my computer and opened my case, and looked inside. Nothing appears to be damaged, but my Video Card was too hot to touch. So while I had it on the floor I hooked everything back up and turned it on. I got nothing on the screen, but I noticed that the fan was not working on my ATI Radeon 9800+ Video Card. I assumed that my video card burned up, so I went to buy one. On monday I came home and installed the newely bought ATI Radeon X1300 video card I bought (the cheapest and the only one capatible with my computer). I turned on my computer and I still got nothing. At this point in time I noticed that my PC Speaker was not beeping once (to tell me everything was working, as stated in the manual). So I thought it might be the Motherboard, because if it was anything else like the HDD or something, I could at least get to the BIOS. Oh and by the way all my Case Fans were working so I figured it wasn't the Power Supply. So I bought a 40 dollar Socket A motherboard from a place online, and it arrived yesturday. I installed it and connected everything together, and tryed it out. This time I got something on the screen (yes!) and I was able to enter the BIOS and everything, but now I can't seem to get to windows with my Maxtor 200GB Hard Drive. I tried a different one that had Win98 on it (the Maxtor had XP on it) and it went into windows, so I deduced it must be the HDD. One thing to mention, when it starts up and gets past the BIOS and such, it just restarts and starts the whole process over again, in a loop. I can access the Hard drive if I connect it to another computer (the one I'm on) and take files and move them around (which is weird), but it wont let me in windows if I set it up as a primary drive. I figured it must be a software issue, so I poped in the install disc and it did it's jazz, until it got to the point where it says "starting windows install disc" and it pops up with a BSOD saying

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and then under technical info: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFF7 0x00000000, 0x8084428, 0x00000000).

I tried multiple install discs and I get the same exact error at the same exact time. I didn't want to drop 100 bucks on a new HDD, so what I did to test something, was take the Win98 HDD and have it as a single drive in there (I have another 80GB one without windows on it) and did the install disc jazz (just to see if wasn't the Maxtor causing the problem) and I get the same erorr as listed above. I'm perplexed, I can't seem to solve this! I need help. I really want my computer to function so any and all help is much appreciated. I will be able to use this computer a lot, so I'll get back to anyone who responds as quickly as possible. Thanks in advanced.

One more thing in case you were wondering: when I just let it run without any bootdisk (whcih by the way does not work) or install disc, it comes up with the screen saying that "windows was not shutdown properly" and it says Start Windows Normally, that screen. If I select anything, Safemode, Normally, or Last Known Good Configuration, it just restarts and goes back to that screen.

I have found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817197 perhaps the new mobo uses those USB connectors? By the way this is the new motherboard.

Edited by End, 13 April 2007 - 03:31 PM.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Were you attempting a repair install of XP when you replaced the motherboard? This would be necessary for the OS to recognize the new hardware. BTW. PC Crap mobos are known to problemic.

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was in a sense attempting to repair the installation, but I did not get that far. It gave me that error before I even got there.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is this a branded system (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) that you changed the motherboard in and are you using a recovery/restore cd for that particular system or a retail WinXP cd?

As mentioned earlier, as soon as you changed motherboards, you changed the hal recognition so, you need to boot using your XP cd and run a repair option.

Murray

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I built the original computer, it was not branded. I tried using a MSDOS Boot Disc (created when formatting a floppy disc in windows XP), but it did not work. I have in there right now a retail WinXP cd. It goes through it's detecting hardware and installing various things, and then it gets to the "Starting Windows Setup" or something, and I get that error. I pretty much have no control, and I can't seem to get to the Repair install thing, as it gives me the erorr before that option comes up.

Edited by End, 13 April 2007 - 04:18 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Anything USB plugged in?

If necessary, remove ALL non-essential hardware - floppy drive, ethernet cards, soundcard (if separate).

Download and run a program called memtest86. 99% of failed XP installs is due to bad ram. Run the program on each stick of ram on its own and then all together. Let it run for a couple hours each time.

Murray

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
You just opened my eyes to something. I am using a USB Keyboard adapter (that is PS/2 without the USB adaptor). I really don't need it to be USB so I can just switch it back to PS/2 and see what happens.

Also, all I have connect (in the back) is the power cable, monitor, and keyboard. And all I have inside is one hdd and one CDROM hooked up. I also have the soundcard and videocard.

I'll try and do the thing with the keyboard... I'll get back to you in a bit.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Take out the soundcard as well.

Murray

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did exactly what you said with the previous post about the soundcard, videocard, and usb devices and now I no longer get the error about the PAGE_FAULT thing, but now I get a new error. This error happens at the same time as the previous, and it does not display any text where it said PAGE_FAULT in the previous, but the technical information is different it shows now:

0x0000008E (0xC00000005, Ox8084325F, 0xF7C82200, 0x00000000)

One thing that comes to my attention is that on my old IBM 40GB drive with Win98 on it, it was able to get in to the Windows loading screen, and perfrom scandisk on the drive. I find this really curious, perhaps it was a fluke, or maybe something entirely different.

Also this RAM test thing, you mentioned it will take a while... I don't want to do it if I know for certain it needs to be done. Sort of like a last chance thing. Thanks for your help so far, and assumed contiuned help.

Edit: AHA! Upon a serach for the error code: 0x0000008E, it has shown me that the Memory Module might not be working. As to which one, that is the question. I have currently have two in there both 512MB sticks. I do not currently know the Manufacturer, but I think one is Corsair.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335 (erorr code search result)

Edited by End, 13 April 2007 - 04:59 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Gee.. then I think the memtest86 program is a must run.

Murray

Advertisements

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
If I am certain how to run this, all I do is put it on a floppy disc and then boot from the floppy, and it should let me run the tests correct?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

If I am certain how to run this, all I do is put it on a floppy disc and then boot from the floppy, and it should let me run the tests correct?

You betchca. Microsoft also has a memory tester somewhere on their website as well.

Murray

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmm this is odd... I force it to boot from the Floppy (by pressing F8 and selecting 1.44 3 1/2 Floppy Disc Drive) and it says "Reading Floppy for Boot Record" or something (it came up and went fast) and then it said "Reading CDROM for Boot Record" (this came up fast too) and then it started from the CD instead of the Floppy... I don't know why, the floppy drive is installed correctly and it is reconized in the BIOS... this is very strange.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It should be a zipped file. Did you unzip it and then put it on the floppy?

Murray

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Murray for all your help, but I got fed up with it and took it up to a computer repair place. They are currently working on it and it should be done soon. Again I thank you for all your help. You can consider this done.