Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network resource is unavailable?!

• Please log in to reply

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I recently bought a new computer (well the pieces of one and put it together myself) and it's been working great for the most part. Lately somethings been happening that I think is a registry problem or something. Everytime I click on some exes (not all of them), a popup will come up and say "configuring (something)" then it will pop up another window that says...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a
folder containing the installation package
"(something).msi" in the box below

Use Source:
(this is a box) C:\DOCUME~1\Cecil\LOCALS~1\Temp\7zS46E.tmp\
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different exes are asking for seemingly random installation packages. Like if I try to play a music file, it asks for the Nero 7 installation package. (which is something I recently installed.) If I try to run one of my games, it asks for another program I have installed in the past.

AFTER it goes through all that or I rapidly hit cancel (cause it usually repeats a few times), the program runs the file just fine with no problems at all.

I do run programs that keep my computer clean but I've been using them for years without problems. CrapCleaner cleans old temp files as well as unneeded/bad registry values. That seems to be the problem but CC has never caused anything like this to happen in the past.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Microsoft Installer program?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
What do you mean Microsoft installer program? I'll try looking into it.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok if you mean THIS I just downloaded and installed it but it doesn't seem to have changed anythin. Although I might need to restart to see the difference.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you checked for malware?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have and use McAfee, Spybot - search & destroy, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and Spyware blaster.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Can you give the exact file instead of "(something).msi" ?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i say (something) cause it's different all the time depending on what I've installed recently.

Some will say...

freelancer operator.msi
Nero 7 Ultra.msi
FlashGet.msi

stuff like that. Can't be a software problem other then windows xp from the way I see it. Doesn't matter what I install it tries to install something just from trying to run a program.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Got your XP cd handy? If so, click on "Start" and then click on "Run".

Type in sfc /scannow (No quotes and copy and paste if you want) and press ENTER.

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok I started the scan then left for a while. When I came back, nothing was up so i'm assuming it finished and found nothing?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That's what it usually means. :whistling:

Okay.. just a bit of reminder clarification here but this problem occurs just with new installs?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hmm actually some files do this without being installed. Yes most of them are installed programs but like I mentioned, I lately noticed my .wav and .mid files do it too for some reason. I just checked and .mp3 seems to be ok though.

this is really weird :whistling:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I assume you are using a retail XP cd. If that is the case, boot using the cd and riun a repair.

You will have to re-install all critical updates and Service Packs after.

You do have all critical updates and service packs right?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeah I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that though.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
haha ok I fixed the problem. Still don't know exactly what caused it but I sat down today determined to fix this and ended up finding out that I couldn't uninstall the programs that show up in the popups cause it says "cannot delete MSI installer". I did some research on that error and found THIS program that will remove info from the registry even if it can't find the installer.

Once I removed all the programs that were in the popups, the programs work perfectly and they no longer ask for the msi files. No idea what it did but it works which is all I care about lol. I guess it makes my system think they arn't installed anymore so it doesn't worry about the installer packages anymore.

anyways, fyi for anybody else that may have this problem in the future.