Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA-300 not preforming up to par?

• Please log in to reply

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have a brand new Maxtor 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G harddrive in my brand new computer I just built. The computer itself is way better then my old computer and I'm very happy with it overall.

Recently, my friend who helped me make my own computer told me of a program that tests your system performance. Just too double check everything, I did some tests and everything preformed very nicely except my harddrive. I'm getting an average read speed of 1700 MB/s but my write speed average is only about 28 MB/s.

This is a brand new computer with all new parts so there shouldn't be a hardware problem. I've gotten all windows update updates as well as all driver updates such as DirectX, graphics card, and even BIOS version.

When I installed Windows I never did anything different for it being a sata drive. I just assumed windows XP installed the drivers for it and everything. Also, I did a bit of reading and found out "Force 150" is where my jumper should be so I moved it there. It didn't seem to help at all though.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? 28 MB/s write isn't normal for this drive is it!?

P.S. i have 2048 ddr2 ram so I doubt my ram is the problem.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SATA 3G is a theoretical maximum. You won't get anywhere near it in the real world.
Your 28Mb/s rating is fascinating, but tells you nothing because the final speeds will vary depending on what files and what size said files are when you read and/or write them.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
then why is my read speed 68 times faster than my write speed? That just doesn't seem normal to me.

Edited by TotallyKonfuzed, 13 April 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

then why is my read speed 68 times faster than my write speed? That just doesn't seem normal to me.

I want you to read this entiire thread as well as all your threads. How long did it take?

Now, write them all out on a blank piece of paper. How long did that take?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok I'm not expecting my write speed to be faster then my read speed but this is a HUGE difference were talking about here. I think my OLD computer got like 25 MB/s write so i'm sorry if that just seems REALLY slow to such a fast reading drive.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That does seem a little excessive but all hard drives include some amount of on-board cache memory that is used to improve read performance.

What is yours?

Murray

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
16mb cache. Your saying my read speed is just fast because of it and my write speed is normal?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Could very well be. That is one definite factor.

Murray