Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop computer Wireless COnnection Problems

• Please log in to reply

nk2006

nk2006

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, I am in a Masters program and have been using my Laptop exhaustively. Just yesterday it startes this thing where it will pick up that I have wireless networks in range, but instead of automatically connecting to the one in the house like it always has since we bought it, I have to click the connect button and then it never connects. I tried the repair option but the computer insists it cannot connect to signal. The internet on my PC works fine and I even have the laptop right next to the router and it STILL wont connect. Three days earlier I was using the computer and I kept getting a message that an IP address was conflicting, but nothing really changed. Here's one more piece of info. We are in a small community and so I pick up other peoples networks. There is another network that is unsecured, as is mine, that I can connect to, but I still cannot connect to my own home one! Help please I need to use my internet whereever I am in the house. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you try this please....
Click on Start->Run... and type cmd into the run box & click OK.
In the DOS window that opens, at the prompt, type ipconfig /all then press Enter
Locate the entry for the wireless adapter (there may be more than one network adapter listed & you may need to scroll up the screen a bit to find it)
When you find it, make a note of the following info & let me know what it is :
IP Address
subnet mask
DHCP Server
Default Gateway

Also let me know what make (manufacturer's name) of the router is.

nk2006

nk2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try that I also want to add that since the last post the repair feature is now saying something about the DNS being bad or invalid. I really don't know what that means!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The DNS Server is the remote server which resolves web addresses i.e translates a www. address into the actual IP address of that website. The IP addresses of the DNS servers (usually a primary & a secondary) are allocated to your computer by the router. Because you have no connection to the router, these addresses haven't been allocated. This will resolve itself once the wireless connection is working.