Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard drive swap and Win32 error

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My old hard drive was getting full, and I got a new, larger hard drive. At first, I set up the new hard drive just so I could put files on it. Recently I decided to delete everything on the new drive and use Seagate's DiscWizard to copy my old hard drive onto my new one (my intent was to eventually have everything run the same as it was before, only I would have all of my old files on my new hard drive, and I would be able to boot off of my new hard drive). So, I ran DiscWizard and it seemed to run successfully, then opened up the case and changed my new hard drive to be the Master and my old hard drive to be the Slave (the jumpers are on "cable select", and the cables are what is deciding what is Master/Slave). My BIOS recognizes my new drive as the Master and my old one as the Slave. However, when I log onto the computer, I get the error message "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close".

When I go to Windows Explorer, it shows my old drive as "C" (and "D" for the FAT32 partition), and named my new drive partitions as my SD card and CF card readers! How do I fix the Win32 problem, and get my new drive to be my primary?