Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Local Area Network with no Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

kingh

kingh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I want to connect with my brother's computer and play war craft 3 using LAN (or something else). We live out in the middle of nowhere with no internet. Im wondering if it is possible to connect to eachother with no internet but just using a Cat 5? If anyone can help that would be great. We both have XP. As well I have a router if we need that. Thanks in advance.

Hunter

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!!

It has been a while since I did a PC to PC connection, but it definately possible!!

First of all you will need a Cat5 cable, particularly a cross-over cable. Of course both computers will have to have a NIC for the cable to plug up to.

I don't know how "nice" XP is just hooking them up together...if any configuration is needed...so if you have any trouble after purchasing what you need, and hooking it up, let me know and I can assist with configuring it. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 April 2007 - 10:06 PM.

kingh

kingh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey man thanks. Yeah i connected the two pcs together using a cat5 cable i got a little bit of connection under cmd -> ipconfig. Ip and subnet mask the other 2 were blank. I then went into WC3 and attempted a LAN and could not see the game my brother made. So if you could help me determine what to do that would be great thanks!

EDIT: Both computers had the your network connection is temporary unavailbe or whatever. The exclamation mark in a yellow Triangle. On top of the two lil computers in the bottom corner.

Edited by kingh, 13 April 2007 - 10:24 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Let's see if this is all we need to do. Remember, it's been a while since I've gotten 2 PCs hooked up together with nothing else :whistling:

Configure each PC to assign it's IP address manually. This will be done by Right-clicking on My Network Places and choosing Properties. Now Right-click on the Local Area Connection and choose Properties.

Scroll down until you see Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and double-click on it. Click on the circle next to Use the following IP address

Fill it in like this:

IP address: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Leave it blank

Preferred DNS Server: Leave it blank
Alternate DNS Server: Leave it blank

For the other computer, fill it out like this:

IP address: 192.168.0.102 (note this is the only difference)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Leave it blank

Preferred DNS Server: Leave it blank
Alternate DNS Server: Leave it blank

Let me know if we're successful. You might try pinging the other computer. For example, go onto the PC you put as 192.168.0.101, and then go to Start > Run type cmd and press enter. Then type ping 192.168.0.102 and press enter. See if you get a response.

kingh

kingh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey man well PINGING works however LAN in wc3 does not im going to see if i need the new battle.net update otherwise i dont know!!! Unlese you think of something let me know. Thanks in advance.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Cool, then that means we have connection! :help:

I'm not familar with War Craft 3...but I do know some games (particularly newer games) will not even "see" another computer on the network with the game if you are both using the same CD Key. You might have to buy another copy...

One game I have had that problem, but updating it fixed it. Apparently they decided it was alright to let a LAN game with the same key work. :blink:

Let me know how it goes for you. :whistling:

PS...just now thinking...you might also try disabling all firewalls you have (don't know why you'd have any without internet :help: ), if applicable.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 April 2007 - 11:32 PM.