Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Wallpaper Annoyance

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi there, this is a problem that's been bugging me for ages but I never gathered the patience to post it here.

As we know, to change our desktop image one of the most common ways to do it is to right click on desktop then go "Properties" - "Desktop" tab - then we can select our desired image from the list.

My understanding is that the image on the list they're supposed to be the ones under "C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper" so I kept my collection there nice and lean. Recently (and I can't control the occurrence of it) I've noticed that sometimes images from other folders, eg. from My Pictures folder and alike would make it to the list as well which makes it a really hard thing to choose a desired image from the list.

How do I solve the problem and keep other images outside "C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper" off the list please?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This seems to be Windows default behaviour - when I set my wallpaper six months I had nothing in My Pictures. Since then, I have not done into Display Properties for wallpaper purposes, but I have dumped things in My Pictures. Therefore fire up Display Properties for wallpaper, and everything in My Pictures and subfolders has appeared on the list.

Under Windows 98 and ME, Windows used bitmaps and JPEGs it found under the Windows folder by default. It would also use the Web\Wallpaper as well, for the default Win98 Active Desktop wallpaper (which was the first thing everybody changed :whistling:).