Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer laptop questions

• Please log in to reply

mominneedofhelp

mominneedofhelp

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I have an acer laptop, it has two drives, C: and D: Disk C: has 34.57 GB capacity, my free space on it right now is 500 MG or 1%, and disk D: has 35.06 GB and the free space is 35.06 GB or 99%. I need to know if I can format it so that C: has a higher capacity or a way to free up some space or use the space on D: My old computer had a way I could take some from D and put it in C or vice versa, but I don't see that on this computer. Please help me. I use this for my business and gaming. Thank you all. Cari

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You are going to need some sort of third party program such as Partition Magic to accomplish what you are hoping to do.

My best suggestion would be to move your "My Documents" folder over to D: drive as well as any personal files, pics, etc. Just make new folders on D: drive that will tell you what is in them.

Also, any new programs you get can be installed to D: drive rather than C: drive. Just change the default install location when you are prompted as to where you want the program to install (Change c: drive to D: drive)

Other than the above there is very little else you can do.

Murray

mominneedofhelp

mominneedofhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for the help. I will do that. Just wasn't sure if I could since some one told me that D: drive is for system programs and stuff. Thanks again

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thank you for the help. I will do that. Just wasn't sure if I could since some one told me that D: drive is for system programs and stuff. Thanks again

Recovery partitions are very small to begin with NOT 35GB's worth of space.

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Acer splits the drive into three - one for Windows, one for backup, one for system recovery. Sony do the same thing. As do Medion.