Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer can't find USB devices

• Please log in to reply

debron

debron

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer crashed when trying to automatically install Microsoft Security Updates last Tuesday night. Wouldn’t reboot. I took it in to a shop and they finally fixed it.

Everything is fine now except Explorer doesn’t see (or can’t find) my USB device nor the built in 8-in-1 card reader. Specifically, my digital camera software can’t find my camera when I plug it in and if I load the camera's XD memory card in a card reader directly plugged into a USB port Explorer doesn’t see it. All of these things used to work fine.

Device Manager says the devices are working normally.

My USB printer works fine.

What do I need to tweak so that Explorer can find my XD card when I plug it into a USB port?

Thanks.

Ronald Riggs

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Windows XP USB Guide

USB Device Stops Working or Won't Resume

WinXP by Default turns off USB Root Hubs to Conserve Power causing some devices not to resume correctly after Windows resumes from sleep, hibernation or computer inactivity

In the Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Power Management, Uncheck the box per the illustration below. Uncheck all boxes on all root hubs. Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 14 April 2007 - 02:23 PM.

debron

debron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Wiskeyman,

The boxes were checked as you surmised so I unchecked them. However, no change. Neither Explorer nor My Computer can find the USB drives. I tried restarting the computer but that didn't work either. The computer beeps when the card is plugged into and removed from the USB port just like it used to do, but I just can't access it.

I went to the website you posted but since the USB ports used to work I don't think I need the USB fix he was referring to.

Any other suggestions?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Try this.

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP

debron

debron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Wiskeyman for your assistance but nothing helped. I ended up taking it back to the repair shop (a 50 mile roundtrip drive) that fixed it after Microsoft's security update crashed it. (Thank you Microsoft!) Turns out to have been a problem in the Registry.

Thanks again.

Ronald Riggs