Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Repair Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply

gtdaley

gtdaley

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've looked at 1000's of posts here and several folks have asked the same question but no answer/explanation was given. I am quoting a past unanswered post because it is verbatim my issue, excepting that I am running XP Home Edition.

"I tried to run a windows xp repair. I didn't get the "Welcome to Setup" screen. After loading files, the "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen with three options listed below is displayed.

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

I don't know how to get the "Welcome to Setup" screen. So I can follow the instruction here to do my windows repair.

Does anyone here know about it?

Thanks!"

In my case, I have only one partition so I select the first option. From there it prompts whether I want to execute a choice of two file format options to the partition (std or quick) or "Leave existing file structure (no changes)" which sure sounds like the right choice. It then proceeds to tell me that an existing WINDOWS folder exists on that partition and that continuing will overwrite that installation. This sounds OK at first but it then warns that "All files, subfolders, user accounts applications etc." will be deleted. This doesn't sound like what I'm trying to achieve.

I did the same thing to my other eMachine last week (both machines needed new motherboards due to a bad power supply. Tip, don't try to verify a bad power supply by moving it to another machine :whistling: ) The repair install on the other machine went exactly as is shown in the countless tutorials I've looked at, none of which mention this menu tree regarding partions. Can anyone provide any insight on what's happening here, why and how to proceed as I'd prefer a repair install over fresh in this instance.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER, then see if you are offered the repair option.

gtdaley

gtdaley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's what I've been doing, selecting Enter on that first option. But on the other machine, these options were never even presented. These options are already heading down a menu tree not discussed in any of the Repair tutorials.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I believe that is because you are using an OEM XP CD.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is the XP cd you are using a Recovery/Restore cd that you would get from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc ?

If so, you won't get that option at all. Most OEM cd's will give you the option as long as they are full install and not Recovery/Restore cd's.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 14 April 2007 - 03:32 PM.

gtdaley

gtdaley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The disk is an OEM Windows XP disk, the same one I used last week to repair the other machine. Staring at it a little longer, it looks like an option might be to just specify a new folder (i.e /NEWWINDOWS or the like) and let it install it there. I think that will proceed without loss of data but I don't know what I will be left with and what pitfalls it might entail. I just don't understand what's different on this system relative to my other one that starts it down a different dialgue.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

The disk is an OEM Windows XP disk, the same one I used last week to repair the other machine.

You do know that you can only have the same XP running on any ONE system at any given time don't you?

Based on the above, what you are trying to do is illegal (against EULA).

Murray

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

The disk is an OEM Windows XP disk, the same one I used last week to repair the other machine.

You do know that you can only have the same XP running on any ONE system at any given time don't you?

Based on the above, what you are trying to do is illegal (against EULA).

Murray

He didnt say he was using the same license key (COA)

gtdaley

gtdaley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the support Jack Hackett.

Yes Murray, I know that I can't install and register the same copy on multiple machines but I also know that it is perfectly acceptable to use abn OE copy of XP to repair the original installation using the original key to register. Like I should have to shell out $100 to to do this, though. It a load of sh*t that vendors get away with selling machines with a restore disk that doesn't have all of the utilities of a Windows OS disk. My conscience is clear; as far as I'm concerned MS has $100 more of mine than they deserve. I have paid for 3 copies of XP, two to run on and one to keep the other two running.

Now, if anyone has an answer to my question, I'm all ears.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem. You never said you weren't using the same key code either did you? :whistling:

You could install XP on a separate partition and it would work. However, you would not have access to any of the docs in the original install until you assumed ownership once more. By doing this, you would have two XP installs with a boot.ini file showing the option to boot to either install.

The three options you are getting are typical for a full install OEM or Retail XP cd. Use the "To Setup Windows" option. Now what are you getting for options?

Take a look at THIS TUTORIAL and see if it is something that you have seen.

Murray

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gtdaley...

Staring at it a little longer, it looks like an option might be to just specify a new folder (i.e /NEWWINDOWS or the like) and let it install it there.

This is called a parallel install and would be a very good solution for you if it will run to completion.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

wannabe1