Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Upgrade" XP Home to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Biiru

Biiru

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Does anyone have suggestions on procedures for upgrading a laptop from XP Home to XP Pro?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
It should be real simple. Although upgrading should not erase any of your data, it is always a wise procedure to backup everything before doing something as major as this. Ya never know if something will go wrong, such as the PC cutting off halfway though the upgrade, and then everything is lost...

Once you got everything backed up, stick the CD in (while you are in Windows) and if you have auto-play enabled, a screen should pop-up with one of the choices being to upgrade to Pro. Select it, follow any prompts, and the upgrade process will begin. :whistling:

Let me know if you have any other questions or problems with it.

Biiru

Biiru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks,

I was pretty sure on the upgrade because I tested it on a laptop. I actually want XP Pro for the backup and restore you don't get with XP Home.

I'll give it a try. Of course if it fries everything in my computer you will more than likely see more post from me. :whistling: