Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting to a WPA secured network?

• Please log in to reply

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am picking the internet signal I want to connect to with my wireless PCI card but how do I connect to it? I know that it is WPA secured. when I click connect on it, it says: Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer e in range. please refresh the list of avalible networks, and try to connect again....

thanks...

Advertisements

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Bump^^^

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1 don't bump your topics...it doesn't help

#2...is this your network? I.E. is the router in your house...did you set up WPA?

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
routers in my house, it worked with WPA before but then I formatted my hdd so it deleted the settings,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sooo...you need to make sure that the drivers and software for your wireless card are installed...then when you find the network...you enter the WPA info like you did before and connect to the router

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the first time a guy from circuit city did it, but thats just it, I dont know where to get the info and here to put it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...did he write down the WPA key or anything? if he didn't you'd need to completely reset the router back to factory defaults and start over

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i'll find a way to get it, but when I do what do I do next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....ok when you have your computer on...does it detect the network?

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...then once you find the WPA info you would highlight that network and choose configure (depending on your wireless utility...i don't know what you see but something to this effect) then you would enter the WPA key and blammo...you should be connected

pyrodog783

pyrodog783

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have run into a problem.. in wirless network properties on the association tab, im sapposed to set the network authentication to WPA-PSK and the data encryption to TKIP but on my other PC it only has options: open or shared for network authentication and WEP or Disabled for data encryption...

thanks in advance