Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed a new motherboard

• Please log in to reply

billyboy920

billyboy920

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just upgraded my motherboard to an intel D975XBX2. When I try to boot I get the message "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be the problem."

I am then instructed to repair using the windows disk.

I select system recovery options and get a window titled operating system. the window is blank. The message at the bottom of the window says" If you don't see your operating system listed click load drivers for your hard disks." I go to Seagate to find drivers for my 320 gig barracuda sata hard drive. Seagate says all the drivers are on the windows disk.
I am going in circles.
I try the windows problem diagnostic tool. It can't repair the problem. diagnostic detailsaa;
Startup RepairV2
Signature01: external media
Signature02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Signature03: o
Signature04: 65537
Signature 05: Unknown
Signature 06: No Hard disk
Signature 07: 0
Signature08 Unknown
Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID 1033

My BIOS sees my hard drive and so does my raid controller so its physically hooked up OK.

This all starts after I put in the new MOBO. Everything worked fine before

any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well that's what ya get with Vista ya know. They try to stop piracy and in turn they make their operating system more of a piece of *bleep*......But anyways to try and help ya....I know this probably won't help ya now but maybe in the future.

What happened to me is, I also changed my hardware and I had to use the Windows Vista Setup disk. After inserting the disk click start>repair computer....what u've done already it sounds like....then it auto detected mine and said problem fixed>continue and restart. And after restarting it took me to the Windows Boot Manager and said Windows Vista Ultimate Recovered, and now it works fine again.

But because you are using a sata drive it's going to be a little tougher. Search on the internet for the driver that is required for your harddrive and write down the exact name. After doin that click load drivers and search for those things,,most likely in c:/system32/drivers....or insert a cd that came with your harddrive.

I know I might've spun ya in more directions that you've already tried, just trying to give suggestions. :whistling: