Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery partition

• Please log in to reply

volar008

volar008

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out. I had a little problem and think I may have made it worse but not sure. First I am running on a Compaq Presario SR1300NX. Everything was running fine ( I have little kids running around so you never know) until I walked in and the computer was on a black screen that said that windows was unable to load due to a problem in (I think) the config.sys files. I tried doing a recovery with the original windows disk, and it seemed like it would only let me reinstall widows from scratch. I must have clicked on the wrong drive because since then I realized that I have windows running off a recovery partition drive. Which was shortly thereafter because I soon ran out of room. I opened up my comp files and it looks like all the original files and programs are on the main drive. However, when I reboot it now boots right to the partition drive. How do I get my computer running of the correct drive? Any help you can give me I would appreciate. I really would like to save the contents of the original drive if possible.

Here is the Hijackthis file if it will help. I tried getting a copy of the config file on the C drive but it was empty, and the new partition drive wont let me in to see the files. What now??

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:27:15 PM, on 4/14/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
H:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
H:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
H:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
H:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
H:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
H:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\wzqkpick.exe
H:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp\wze1d8\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - H:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = H:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - H:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - H:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
By any chance are you getting the option to boot from differnt operating systems but they are both the same operating system.

volar008

volar008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When it starts up i get the choice of xp professional, home edition, and recovery console. after 30 secs it goes to xp pro, but I have 3 computers and I cant remember if this one usually runs on pro or home. The disk that came with this comp, that I reinstalled after the error from is xp pro. Does that help?

volar008

volar008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
huh lol, while waiting for a response I tried to go in the home edition version ( which I though this comp might have originally had and it popped up the same error (unable to start windows error in windows\system32\config\system files. I can only get to desktop in pro : \

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
hi volar008 sorry for the late reply

Is this the message you get when you try to go into XP PRO