Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sporadic PC Freeze

• Please log in to reply

oldertoot

oldertoot

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a problem where my Win XP PC periodically freezes, that is, my desktop is unresponsive to mouse clicks for a period of time. I cannot type or change Windows focus. The mouse cursor tracks but it can't do anything else, like selecting something or popping up a right click menu. The title bar that is blue when the window is active suddenly turns grey. I can wait it out or press alt + cntrl + delete open the task manager dialog box, then close it without any action such as clicking end task, which allows me to get my response back again. Any ideas? Thank you.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
IS your computer also suffering from slow preformance.

oldertoot

oldertoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

IS your computer also suffering from slow preformance.

No, it is quite sporadic, the PC runs like gangbusters 99% of the time and that is what is baffling about this problem.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

oldertoot

oldertoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :blink:

Log posted in appropriate forum per your request, hopefully done correctly. I cherish my snacks and don't want your techs getting fat on my sweets. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I actually had intended that you attach it here in this thread. When I say don't "post", I mean copy and paste the whole log here. But in any case, there's a few things in the log I'm not sure about, so it's good that it is in the Malware forum. Only, if you don't mind, I'd edit your thread so that the log is posted rather than attached, and if you wanna leave the "pickle" part, you may wanna link to this thread so they know what in the world you're talking about. :blink:

While we're waiting to hear from them as to whether you have a clean PC or not, lemme ask a few questions and run a few tests...

Do you defragment your computer regularly?
Do you do a scandisk on your hard drives regularly?
Is there anything you changed/installed just before this started happening?
Have you tried a system restore back to a point in time before this started happening?

Now for a quick cleanup.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Start TuneUp. Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files (note: the recycle bin will be emptied unless you uncheck it). Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp Disk Doctor. Choose Thorough Analysis. If it prompts you to fix any errors, let it do so. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Do a Complete Scan. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know if this helps with your problem any. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 April 2007 - 12:14 AM.

oldertoot

oldertoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Didn't help this particular problem but computer seems to boot faster, which I thought wasn't possible.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You missed my questions. :whistling:

Do you defragment your computer regularly?
Do you do a scandisk on your hard drives regularly?
Is there anything you changed/installed just before this started happening?
Have you tried a system restore back to a point in time before this started happening?

oldertoot

oldertoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, when analysis tells me it is needed.

Yes.

No, except for possibly downloading Windows security updates.

No restore point was available when I realized the problem was more than a one-time occurance.

The problem has now gotten to a point where on occasion only my taskbar is deactivated and unresponsive, other times the entire desktop is affected.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when your computer froze. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

The main type of error I'm hoping to see is "application hang", and hopefully it is the same program each time. :whistling:

oldertoot

oldertoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
nt Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 4/16/2007
Time: 3:55:39 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: RICHARDLAPTOP1
Description:
Windows saved user RICHARDLAPTOP1\Richard Bayler registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

No application hangs, unfortunately. This is an often repeated warning in applications.

Below is an error in system tab :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 4/18/2007
Time: 1:56:20 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RICHARDLAPTOP1
Description:
The %SAUSBHW.SvcDesc% service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I have a feeling the problem is coming from one of your recent Windows updates. My laptop's boot time was increased from 1 minute to 5 minutes after a particular update. Personally speaking, I don't update any software unless I have to or there's something not working right. I used to be in favor of Windows Updates, but now I say once you have SP2 installed, don't get anymore updates unless you need it (i.e. security issues, compatability problems, certain error messages). Microsoft really has a problem with checking for bugs in their software!! :whistling:

Backup your data in case something goes wrong, which almost never happens with these suggestions. Ya never know what could happen though (i.e. power going out, which would be especially disasterous during these suggestions).

Try the following suggestions. If one doesn't work, move on to the next.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD. Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. When it is finished, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists. If you have any trouble running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

2. Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

3. Repair Windows XP. You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update