Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

goodpeople

goodpeople

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have not used one of my computers in sometime and no longer remember My admin Password. I want to give the computer to a friend and would like to have it set so that he can have administration rights. I have another account which is accessible.

I also Have my windows XP disc. I'm wondering if it's possible using my Windows XP to get myself set back up without losing what I had on the computer previously. I'm sure giving info on how to recover an admin password is a huge no no.

I'm thinking that since I have CD and this would permanatly change the admin that you will trust I'm not trying to hack someone's computer. Any help at all would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to take this comp in somewhere to be fixed.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm sure giving info on how to recover an admin password is a huge no no.

Yup, that's right. So instead of recovering it, we'll see if we can work our way around it.

Does your alternate account have Administrative privileges? If not, did you set a password on the built-in Administrator account? If not, you can boot up in safe mode (tap F8 during boot) and log in as Administrator. Then, while in safe mode, elevate your privileges for the alternate account you have.

I'm not sure if you can remove the passworded account without the password, but you can try if you'd like. Be warned that any data in that account's documents will be lost. We can worry about this in a bit if needed. Let's just see if you can log in using the built-in Administrator account. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 April 2007 - 09:46 PM.