Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diablo 2! Why won't you work on my Vista?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Matticus_Person

Matticus_Person

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay. It's been driving me crazy.

I get Windows Vista, alright. Big expensive computer to go with it. Everything so far is great.

I install Diablo 2: Lords of Destruction, and go to play. I start out in the base camp, like normal, and move around for five seconds. Then the screen starts glitching out. The background goes black and there are odd glitched out patches on the ground.

I've spent most of the day searching forums and google for anything to help me. You know, patches and whatnot. Nothing works.

Can someone help me? I'm going to go crazy. Diablo 2 didn't work on my previous computer because it was so out of date, and now it won't work on this computer for whatever reason.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Diablo II is an old game and I doubt that is Vista compatable. Most people's complaints about Vista right now is about compatability issues.

Matticus_Person

Matticus_Person

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Diablo II is an old game and I doubt that is Vista compatable. Most people's complaints about Vista right now is about compatability issues.

I guess that means there's no way to patch the problem?

I'm getting Starcraft to play, though there's a little colour distoration if I minimize the game and restore it, but that's it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I took a look at the patches and what they did and I doubt it. That game is old. Both of those games were some of my favorites... 5 years ago. Vista came out very recently. There is a possibility it will be fixed in the future but there hasn't been much time yet.

Diablo II patch page is here: http://www.blizzard....rt/?id=mdt0387p

Edited by Titan8990, 14 April 2007 - 10:16 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Have you tried Right-clicking on the Game's shortcut (or if it isn't in there, on the game's executable), selecting Properties, and tweaked the Compatibility tab?

When you look in the properties of any program, you should see a Compatibility tab. After clicking the tab, you can check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose an older operating system. You may also choose to disable some special features using the boxes below, which could possibly help your game to work now, instead of waiting for patches...

Let me know if you meet with success. :whistling:

diablos rival

diablos rival

• Pip
  • 1 posts
can someone please help im trying to diablo 2 on vista then when it half way loads in installing it says reducing cycle error then it says the disk is not in the cd rom when it clearly is please help me with this problem i really want 2 play diablo again :)

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Holy necropost, Batman. Go to the store and buy the game instead of pirating it.

jungle-sha

jungle-sha

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Pretty silly to assume that people have pirated copies of the game. I'm running a legit copy on Windows Vista and it doesn't work either. Had no problems using the same discs on XP.

Holkeye, looks like you're running XP... got anything useful to offer?

Holkeye

Holkeye

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

can someone please help im trying to diablo 2 on vista then when it half way loads in installing it says reducing cycle error then it says the disk is not in the cd rom when it clearly is please help me with this problem i really want 2 play diablo again :)

This is a classic sign of pirated games. Also, I have Diablo 2 and it runs fine on XP. I don't know about Vista because Vista is a bloated piece of crap that I would never install on my computer.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Holkeye, I don't understand why you feel you have to be so negative towards others. Research seems to indicate that Diablo 2 is not designed for Windows Vista, and therefore doesn't run on it, at least not in the normal way. For you to state that you have XP and it runs fine is not particularly helpful. I'll thank you to keep your replies civil.

jungle-sha

jungle-sha

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I agree, Vista is crap, nothing about it has impressed me yet but unfortunately my XP machine is down for the count until I can get to it and my Vista is all I have to work with. Most new pc are shipping without an option for XP and it is nothing but a pain and Microsoft has done nothing to fix it. I've had trouble with some other programs too, not just games... I had to install my Adobe CS3 5 times before it was excepted by Vista.
Garbage I tell ya... I would put XP on my machine already if I had the disc and a day to spare on it.