Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Old Hard Drive w USB Connection

• Please log in to reply

foxoff

foxoff

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, I have a small problem with the new PC connecting to my old hard drive. It is a relatively common problem but the common solutions aren't working. I tried disabling sharing on my new PC. I use XP (Home) as my OS.

I tried taking ownership of the Documents and Setting Administrator folder of my old drive where I kept all the files I need for my new PC, but I can't access the Security tab of the folder. I followed thee steps:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

I cannot, however, the security tab does not operate in this way. Also, I cannot locate the new drive if I boot in safe mode, but can see it when booted regularly.

I did disable sharing on the new drive and was able to access some folders but not all. I have also made sure thjat my new Administrator account has the same name and password as the old one did.

Can someone help me access all my old folders? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Fox
:whistling:

Advertisements