Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how to upgrade to usb2.0

• Please log in to reply

madcore_jamie

madcore_jamie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys.
I own a very old computer. It's a celeron 600mhz, 191mb ram. It only has 2 usb ports in the back and there both usb 1.
I just recently got adsl internet so the modem i got uses 1 of the slots, then i have a usb webcam and a usb mouse and printer. There obviously isn't enough room to plug all of them in. So while getting more slots might as well get the usb 2.0.
Im pretty sure all i need to get is a pci usb adapter or whatever there called. The thing is i walked into my local computer store and asked about upgrading to usb 2.0 and the guy reckons its substanial update and its just easier buying a hole new computer. I thought you just needed to buy the part insert it in the right slot and off you go. Is that all you gotta do?? or is the computer guy right?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the USB Evaluation Utility

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans3#q1

Not sure how a 600mhz processor will deal with USB 2.0 data tranfer speeds

If you do not transfer data via USB then a powered USB hub is an option, 7 port hubs are available

madcore_jamie

madcore_jamie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
it says my computer is compatible with usb. but i already new that. im just wondering to get usb 2.0. all i gotta do it install a pci usb2.0 card with 4 or 5 ports and it should all work theres nthing else i need to do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's fine