Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need some urgent help please. My laptop will no longer start Windows

• Please log in to reply

meadows11

meadows11

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a HP laptop running XP Home that I bought new in late August 2006.

Here's my problem:

I was doing almost nothing out of the ordinary on my laptop, I was running iTunes, Opera and Internet Explorer. The only unusal thing was I had just finished installing Veoh media player for IE. Anyways I was running the three programs above and just opened my newly installed Veoh player. It displays a message saying it can not reach a internet connection and to check my firewalls. So I go to open Norton (to change my firewall) and notice it was not running in my bar, which was weird because I always have it running. I open my start menu and click on the Norton icon to get it running and all of the sudden my computer freezes. I wait 30 seconds, try ctrl+alt+del, wait a minute longer, and then I finally notice my laptop is completely unresponsive. I have no choice but to hold down the boot-up bottom at the top left corner of my keyboard to shutoff the power.

On restart my computer appears normal at first, it starts to boot up like ordinary. Once it gets to the point where I can see my wallpaper everything is messed up. Literally all I can see is my wallpaper. No mouse, my keyboard to my knowledge is completely unresponsive, zero desktop items, no task bar, literally nothing but my wallpaper can be seen. If I leave it for awhile it powers off (like a screen saver) so when I hit the mouse it returns me to the XP users screen. Here my mouse works but once I click on my user it goes back to the wallpaper.

THIS IS WHAT I CAN DO: When I boot up I can enter the set-up, which is all I can do to my knowledge.

I'm sorry I have no HJT log but that would be impossible for me to do right now. Additionally you should know I regularlly run checks with Norton, SpyBot and Windows Defender.

Please help me I have important documents that I have to work on ASAP. My PAYPAL account is almost dry and only contains $2.20 US I promise I will send that immediatley to whoever helps me. Additionally I'll add another $20 on top of it I will just need 6-10 days to transfer funds to my account because I live in Canada.

I realize all of you have real lives and jobs, however I can not stress enough how important this is to me. I'm absolutely desperate and if I come off as rude I'm completely sorry.

Advertisements