Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Boot in safe or from CD

• Please log in to reply

ChrisMT

ChrisMT

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello guys,

In the past you guys have been most helpful so here I am again with a mega problem.

A day ago, my comp started acting a little twitchy. A bit sluggish and did a reboot on me. I checked things but all seemed well so didn't do anything. Today, I was working on a huge project and my comp froze. So, I restarted the comp and it now refuses to boot to windows. I've cleaned all the fans and then tried to get it to boot in safe mode, no such luck. I've tried to boot from the CD, and still no luck. It's not booting to windows no matter what I do.

When I put in the CD it starts to load from the CD and then stops. I get the blue screen that says it's loading, but it never kicks in. I know its not a virus. The comp I was working on has no internet access since I just got new internet access but never set it up on that comp. So I'm virus free, so that can't be a problem.

I run Windows XP SP2 with all of the updates unless something new has been put out in the past 2 months.

Is there a way to fix this? (hopes and prays) I need access to that project.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Find out what make your HD is. Enter the manufacturer's site and download a bootable CD or floppy with a diagnostic program. Run a full scan of the disk. If you need help with finding the software let us know what the make is. I hope you have your data backed up. If not you would be better off looking at the next paragraph and back up the data while the HD is attached to another computer.

Alternatively you can the disk out and install as a second disk on another computer (make sure to jumper correctly). Click My computer > right-click the problematic disk > properties > tools > in error checking "check now" > check the two boxes > start. Let the process run to the end.

ChrisMT

ChrisMT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All right. I'll hook up the HD and see if I can retrieve the data from my second comp. No time to do that now, but I'll get back to you tomorrow and tell you how things went.

Can you point me in the right direction to see how to add my HD to my second comp so I don't screw things up? I seriously can't believe I didn't back this project up. I'm usually chronic about it and save everything to Flash Stick as I work. I didn't realize I wasn't working on the Stick drive.

Sorry to be a bother, your help is much apreciated.
-Chris

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
At the back of the hard disk there is a small jumper which can be set in different positions. You need to have the "good" HD jumpered as master, preferably connected to the end connector of the flat cable. The disk that you want to check should be jumpered as a slave and preferably connected to the next connector on the cable.

Alternatively you can jumper both as "cable select" (csl). In this case the "good" disk must be connected to the end of the flat cable and the second disk must be connected to the next to the next connector.

Each disk must have a power connection connected to it (the white 4 wire thick connector).

ChrisMT

ChrisMT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, I did a scan like you said, I was able to get the information off my HD I'm about to pop it back into my comp and see how things go.

Wish me luck.
:whistling:
-Chris