Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about installing Second HD.

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
A friend gave me his broken computer. I took out his Hard Drive, and I want to add it to my computer as a slave drive. Unfortunately, it doesnt look like I have any drive bays left. So does this mean I'd have to remove something like a floppy disk drive? Also, the IDE cable that I found inside my desktop doesn't have those 3 connectors, with the middle one thats supposed to be for a slave drive. So would I have to change the cable, too? And finally, what if the reason my friend's computer broke was because he had a faulty hard drive. Would it affect my computer if I put in a faulty hard drive? Thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
They make three way IDE cables but it is not standard and I'm not sure how well it would work. The IDE cable that goes to a floppy drive is slightly different. The one that goes to your CD drive is the same though. The HDD will fit the bay of the floppy though if that is what you are asking. If the hard drive is corrupt your computer will most likely not boot up with the HDD connected. It would not cause permanent to your computer.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I'm not talking about using the IDE cable from my floppy. But the IDE cable that goes to my existing hard drive isnt 3 way and from what I've read in tutorials, it says to use a 3 way IDE cable to connect the 2 hard drives together. Also, if I have no bays left, so I wouldn't be able to attach a hard drive without removing the floppy drive, right?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well really you could but it is not safe and not recomended. If you can find another way to support the HDD while it is on then it will be fine. Its very bad to move a HDD while it is running. Think of a needle on glass.

How often do you use your floppy drive? I didn't even put one in my last two builds.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The one that goes to your CD drive is the same though.

Actually its not, they are different, thats why they have different labels, however it is possible to use it on a HD, but its not recommended. Also installing the new HD will not affect your computer in the operating section because it is set as a slave, but if its a bad drive and burnt maybe then I think you're gonna have trouble running it. The only way to set up a slave drive is to purchase a 3-way cable, otherwise I can't think of a way to install it. They are around a dollar I think.

Well really you could but it is not safe and not recomended.

I haven't read or experienced a problem installing a 3-way cable, I don't know what you're talking about it not being recommended. There is no other way of installing it.

Edited by SOORENA, 15 April 2007 - 03:07 PM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I haven't really used my floppy drive much at all due to usb keys and email nowadays. So I guess i should remove it. Also, about attaching the power cord to the hard drive, I have many of those power cord things hanging around inside with rubber on the tip. Could I just take any random one to use?

*I think Titan was referring to not having the hard drive on a bay as not recommended.

Edited by Compnoobie, 15 April 2007 - 05:12 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sure they are only covered so their not damaged or so they don't short curcuit the computer. So yes you can remove it.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
If I happen to mess up installing it, or set the wrong jumper settings, or connected it wrong, or the hard drive is broken, etc, and the computer doesn't start or something goes wrong, all I have to do is remove the hard drive and everything will go back to normal right?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
What was wrong with your friends computer when it broke down? Did the computer start at all? If so then you are fine and everything should work.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I wasn't really sure wat was wrong with his computer. Anyway, is it possible to add an extra bay?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Depends if you're case is big enough. Also you can, if you are good at modding, screw the new hard drive in place, just so it doesn't move. It doesn't nesseceraly have to be in a bay. I am speaking as an experienced modder I have done this before and look I can still type this page with my computer. Lol.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
it probably isnt good if i just stand the hard drive upright and tape against the bay of my other hard drive (which is in a vertical bay, against the front side of the computer)?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Taping definetly not, cause it will get hot, but if you screw it somehow then there is no problem cause you can't melt medal at those temperatures. Here is an idea, try making holes in the case and then screwing the hard drive to the case. If you have trouble figuring all this out upload a picture here from inside you're case and I will help you from there, I'm better at visualizing.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
2 options:

1. Find room in your case, depending on how big it is, throw in a PCI ATA card to add the extra IDE. Dont use those 3 way cables, IDE was meant to have 2 buses and adding a 3rd adds stability issues.

2. Buy an external IDE enclosure, throw the drive in there and hook it up via USB.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
All the tutorials seem to say to use 3-way IDE cables for installing a 2nd hard drive. Also, I'm taking the bay of the old computer and replacing it with the other since its larger and can fit 2-3 drives, rather than just a floppy.