Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireslles Network & Powering Off Issues

• Please log in to reply

Dadarules

Dadarules

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi & thanks in advance for any suggestions,

My problems are cascading in nature - starting with (1) cannot recognize the wireless network that I usually use (2) won't power down properly and therefore (3) cannot use system restore to go to a time the wireless network worked.

I am on another computer because my laptop (Dell Latitude D505 using XP) won't recognize any wireless connection - or the LAN connection in the hotel room on Thursday & Friday. The wireless worked at home Thursday morning and at the hotel initially. The signal in the room was weak so I plugged in the cat-5 connector to the internet and then neither worked. I went to view the network connections and it notes that everything is good - but obviously things are not because it won't connect or even recognize the wireless or LAN connections.

I am home now and the computer did not recognize my wireless network that I am working on now with my family computer (proof it is up & running). I did refresh available wireless networks and it still notes that now wireless network is in range. Nobody likes a liar so I am going to have a talking to this laptop once things get fixed.

So I remember this got fixed once a long time ago by doing system restore and going to a time that everything worked - a happy place. I did this but now have the issue of the computer will absolutely not shut down by using the "Shut Down" command. It goes to a blue screen and won't react to anything - not even CTRL+ALT+DELETE. Just sits there in its little blue world ignoring me. I need to hold down the power button for a while to turn it off. The bigger problem is then that the System Restore date chosen will not take effect because the computer wouldn't shut down properly so I can not do any time traveling and fix my internet connection issue.

Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Advertisements