Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard and BIOS issue

• Please log in to reply

Doom Fox

Doom Fox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I was recomented here to find an answer to my problem, so I might as well explain it to you all.

I am having a really bad issue with my main PC, I'm currently on my back up one. Anyway, I'll explain up things briefly but I might put up more details if I find someone who will help me.

Ok, my PC was working normally last night and I'll let you guys know that my PC is a very unstable one because it's not a brand PC, I built it myself. Now, here is all the information about my PC, I know it's not the greatest PC of all but I hope it helps if you can find what my problem is or could be.

CPU: AMD Ahtlon XP 3200+ 2.16GHz
CPU Heatsink: The one that came with the Processor.
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 80GB
Motherboard: Biostar M7NCG 400 (400 FSB)
RAM: 2x (500KB) Kingston Memory sticks and 1x (500KB) Viking Memory stick. They are both PC 2700 (DDR 333).
Power Supply: 175 Watts Max (I really think I should upgrade this).
Video Chipset: NVidia N-Force

Well those are the main stuff, now onto my problem. You see I wanted to transfer my PC to a newer Case, I connected everything well and all, I only had some issues with connecting the Front Panel of the PC (Start Button, Restart Button, Power LED, HDD Led..etc.). It started up really slow compared to the old Case and after 30-40 seconds later the screen froze, I had to shut it down manually and then unplug the cable, after I tried to turn it on again, nothing appeared on screen, the monitor wasn't recieving any signal from the PC until I let it rest for a while and it worked again, I quickly entered the BIOS configuration but it also froze after that amount of time and it stayed there. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? could it be the Motherboard? the clock batter it has? the processor? perhaps SED? Please if you have any ideas ANY please let me know, I really want my old PC back, this one is slower.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had similar problems with 2 computers lately. One computer, a intel 2.4, on a intel 101 mb, ended up being a bad hard drive causing lockups everywhere including the bios. It took me a while to find it simply because the HD was used only weeks before in a different computer with no problems whatsoever. Switching to a 120 Gig spare WD hard drive from that 40 Gig wd drive cured it.

Second computer was a M7ncg pro that i am still running right now with a amd 2400. I swapped the motherboard into a newer case with more USB ports and it just didnt seem to like it much. Swapping data cables for the HD and cdrom drives helped but i still had lockups. Reseating the processor and using some good articsilver heatsink paste and a zalman heatsink seems to cure most of the problems.

The one thing i did to really help the problem was switch to a better power supply. The original PS could not supply enough power for the AMD 2400. The 5 volt line had only 4.76 volts and the 12 volt line was down to 11.78. Swapping in a thermotake 420 watt PS for the cheap 450 watt case PS is what really fixed the problem with this computer. Only problem is the thermotake is louder than i wou;ld like it to be so i am looking at a silverstone for a quieter one.

I still have a problem trying to get a floppy drive to work yet but i really have not spent a lot of time on it yet. I did have to reload the chipset drivers from the cd that came with the MB to get it working a lot better. I don't understand why i had to do that but it helped. The chipset drivers were loaded when i originally put the MB in its original case.

I have 2 of these M7ncd pro MB's. One with the 2400 and another with a barton 2600. Both seem to work well now. i just need some quieter power supplys for them.

SRX660

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I think that it could b the psu that doesnt have enough juce. (A matter of wear and tear.) Try and dissconnect the HD and the cd/dvd palyers. if the Motherboard boots then it is most likely the PSU as u said.
Let us know whats happenning.