Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Great Article on understanding RAM


  • Please log in to reply

#1
MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

    Member 2k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I came across this article earlier today and I found it very interesting and informative.

http://www.pcclub.co...A40F20EF3F8AC8B
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
james_8970

james_8970

    Trusted Tech

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Its a good article but dated,
Just want to clarify something, that new people to the field may not realize, there is a 98% chance that the processor you buy today of the shelves will require DDR2, be sure to double check this, there is still a 2% chance or lower that it supports DDR, but that's a dying bread that should if not already is dead. AMD moved to DDR2 in the summer of 2006, this article was last updated in January of 2006.
James
  • 0

#3
warriorscot

warriorscot

    Member 5k

  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol you make it sound like there is a random nature of what type of memory your CPU needs, you just read the box and find out if you are buying a processor chances are you know what memory it will need.
  • 0

#4
dsenette

dsenette

    Je suis Napoléon!

  • Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP

Lol you make it sound like there is a random nature of what type of memory your CPU needs, you just read the box and find out if you are buying a processor chances are you know what memory it will need.

i think that's kind of the problem...people don't read boxes anymore...or instructions...they just go to tigerdirect or newegg or wherever and type in a bunch of things that they think they need...people don't check compatability anymore and then wonder why their shiny new computer won't boot...
  • 0

#5
james_8970

james_8970

    Trusted Tech

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Which is exactly why I posted that :whistling:
And for the few that do actually read something, many tend to forget about looking at the dates of the articles. Experienced users will notice things like this, others just getting introduced to the computer world may over look it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 April 2007 - 09:02 PM.

  • 0

#6
MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

    Member 2k

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
O I agree with all of you.
I did see the date, but thought it was well written and informative.
Thats all.
  • 0

#7
vally

vally

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Most of us here know what we are doing and check that it is compatable but the ones who don't know usually ask later why the parts dont fit or why is it so complicated to build one.
  • 0

#8
james_8970

james_8970

    Trusted Tech

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Most of us here know what we are doing and check that it is compatable but the ones who don't know usually ask later why the parts don't fit or why is it so complicated to build one.

The key word there is later, it's best that people get informed before they buy the parts and waste their hard earned money on something they can't use.
James
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP