Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slower computer after adding ram...?

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi. I recently just upgraded to 1GB ram using previously used ram that I found in an unused computer. Everything installed correctly, but now it seems as if my CPU levels reach 100% really quickly now. I also installed a used DVD RW drive at the same time if that matters. I've tried changing the pagefile system to 1536mb or so, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. According to the task manager, my CPU level is around 90-100%, yet my PF usage is only around 400mb. I'm doing a virus scan right now, and even that is taking forever. Before I post anything in the Malware forum, does it seem like there is anything I could do?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What process is using the CPU? If you're not sure how to tell, follow these directions:

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU

If you can, a screencapture would be useful.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I haven't downloaded the thing you asked. But according to the task manager, iexplorer.exe is taking 98%-100%. Thats also in part due to the fact that I'm running Kaspersky Online Virus scanner. But I've run this scanner before, and it's never ever took up so much CPU. Even without the scanner, programs that usually didnt take a lot of CPU are now taking a lot.

*should i still get process explorer?

Edited by Compnoobie, 15 April 2007 - 06:31 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

*should i still get process explorer?

No. Let's run a few tests.

Can you recreate this 100% at will? or at least pretty much recreate it? If so, follow these directions:

Please download filemon. After downloading, unzip it to your desktop.

Before we get started, I want you to be familiar with the Capture button so you can find it quickly when we do this. Open Filemon. Note the button at the top that looks like a magnifying glass. Pressing that button will stop Filemon from recording (capturing) the activity of your computer. That is the button you will be pressing when I say to.

Now exit out of Filemon. Exit all non-essential programs (the ones in the taskbar next to the clock. Do this by right-clicking on them and selecting exit or close.) Now we will use Filemon.

We are going to do this fairly fast: Open Filemon and then immediately open one of the programs that are giving you the 100% usage problem. Let the computer sit for about 30 seconds. Return to Filemon (if it is not visible) and click on the magnifying glass button at the top. Now click on File > Save as... and save the log to your desktop. Attach that log to your reply to me.

NOTE: The log should be EXTREMELY long. So please attach it rather than post it out. If necessary, you may even have to compress it by putting it a zipped (compressed) folder.

Next, let's test your RAM.

Download Stress Prime

After you download it, double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Or it may even cause your computer to restart or show an error. Let me know if either of those happen.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it may say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 April 2007 - 07:07 PM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
There were no warnings when I ran that program. I did the filemon thing on mcafee. The file is too big to send as an attachment. Also, are you sure theres nothing wrong with my low PF usage? On my new computer with the same amount of ram, it uses a lot more of the Pagefile and runs faster. Also, even with a 100% CPU (without system idle process) it doesn't use any more than 300-400 PF.

Edited by Compnoobie, 16 April 2007 - 09:30 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I did the filemon thing on mcafee. The file is too big to send as an attachment.

Put it in a compressed (zipped) folder and try to attach again.

Also, are you sure theres nothing wrong with my low PF usage? On my new computer with the same amount of ram, it uses a lot more of the Pagefile and runs faster. Also, even with a 100% CPU (without system idle process) it doesn't use any more than 300-400 PF.

Pagefile is a part of the hard drive set aside to act as RAM. Low pagefile usage should mean higher performance because more of true RAM is being used. The hard drive takes time to spin-up and access the virtual RAM (pagefile), thus reducing performance.

The fact that your other computer is using more and running better might indicate that it is storing data from RAM that is not in use in the page file, thus leaving more RAM available for programs that need it right away.

Your pagefile (virtual RAM) should be set to automatic, where it will always be 1.5x the amount of RAM your system has, unless in an emergency in which case it can automatically increase the size. If you have modified it, I highly recommend putting it back on automatic, or at least 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. Do you know how to do/check this?

Let's run a quick cleanup on your PC:

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Start TuneUp. Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files (note: the recycle bin will be emptied unless you uncheck it). Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp Disk Doctor. Choose Thorough Analysis. If it prompts you to fix any errors, let it do so. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Do a Complete Scan. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know how your PC performs after this.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 April 2007 - 10:33 AM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
If it matters, I realized that the process svchost.exe takes up 99 CPU during startup. Anyway, for the pagefile thing, I used to set the custom size to 1536 (which is 1.5 x 1Gb of ram). And then after, I set it to system managed, hoping it would be better. I uploaded two filemon logs, using mcafee and firefox, both which seem to take up a lot of CPU. Is there a possibility that some malware is eating up my CPU?

Attached Files

Edited by Compnoobie, 16 April 2007 - 10:48 AM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I was looking at the advice the system advisor gave me. My superantispyware program takes up about 40mb of memory. and then i realized svchost.exe and wuacuclt. I have 6 svchosts running at the same time, too.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

s there a possibility that some malware is eating up my CPU?

Certainly possible, but from the Filemon logs, I doubt it.

I was looking at the advice the system advisor gave me. My superantispyware program takes up about 40mb of memory.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tune-up will flag anything using a lot of RAM. But some programs are really that big.

I have 6 svchosts running at the same time, too.

That's normal. At the moment, I have 5 running on my PC. That program handles various aspects of your PC and will always have multiple instances unless running in Safe Mode.

From your Filemon logs, I'd say McCrappy (my nickname for McAfee) is the cause of your problem. I'd remove it and see if the problem goes away.

If you don't have the CD (or program) and key to put it back in case I'm wrong, or if it didn't work, let's go through the following troubleshooting technique to see if we can isolate the problem.

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Is it still having performance issues? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Is it still having performance issues? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.
Is it still having performance issues? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the problem, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service.

Then report back.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I'll get back to you once I finish this 12 hour long virus scan from what you call "Mc-Crappy." On a side note, do you now how to make this go faster, like tweaking its settings or whatever?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
The only "tweaking" I do is what is built in to a program called Advanced Windows Care.

I personally don't recommend doing a whole lot of "tweaking" because inevitably you'll change something that causes a problem (either right away or down the road). Tweaking can be compared to steroids. Yeah, you get a boost in performance, but you don't always get away without problems. :whistling:

Info about why McCrappy, Norton, and Trend Micro aren't good

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 April 2007 - 08:52 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may add a point: You mentioned that you added a memory module that you took from an used computer. Was it ever working well after the installation? Is it of the same speed? The reason I ask is that if you have two modules of different speed, e.g ddr 266 and ddr 400, the computer will set for the lower speed. You will get more volume at a lower speed.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
The newer one i installed is PC3200 DDR 400, and the other one is PC2700 DDR333. Does this mean there's nothing I can do to make it quicker?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
When installing memory you want to install memory of the same type and speed if you do not the faster memory will degrade down to the slower memory's level.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
[bleep], I used crucial.com and it said DDR400 would be ok and even recommended it. So is there any benefit in installing the extra 512 ram, or should I take it out?

Edited by Compnoobie, 18 April 2007 - 04:19 PM.