Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Slower computer after adding ram...?

• Please log in to reply

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

Does this mean there's nothing I can do to make it quicker?

No, there are other ways to make it quicker.

I used crucial.com and it said DDR400 would be ok and even recommended it.

Well yeah...of course they'll offer the best RAM for your PC. It's up to you (or a geek that you ask) to know what you have and whether you should really go for the best RAM, or go with a slower one because of wasted speed.

Did you download the Advanced Windows Care program I linked to earlier? It can help speed up the PC by doing some cleaning and tweaking. I recommend having all the boxes check except for Privacy Sweep. And have it create a restore point (it asks you upon the first run) before using it.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 April 2007 - 04:23 PM.

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you want to make your computer faster what you can do is try taking out the slower stick and get one with the same speed as the newer one that you baught.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Crucial were right. Your motherboard can support both speeds. However, the lower speed of the two will determine the general speed. Presently you have 1 gig of ram running at 333 MHz.