Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slower computer after adding ram...?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Does this mean there's nothing I can do to make it quicker?

No, there are other ways to make it quicker.

I used crucial.com and it said DDR400 would be ok and even recommended it.

Well yeah...of course they'll offer the best RAM for your PC. It's up to you (or a geek that you ask) to know what you have and whether you should really go for the best RAM, or go with a slower one because of wasted speed.

Did you download the Advanced Windows Care program I linked to earlier? It can help speed up the PC by doing some cleaning and tweaking. I recommend having all the boxes check except for Privacy Sweep. And have it create a restore point (it asks you upon the first run) before using it.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 April 2007 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you want to make your computer faster what you can do is try taking out the slower stick and get one with the same speed as the newer one that you baught.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Crucial were right. Your motherboard can support both speeds. However, the lower speed of the two will determine the general speed. Presently you have 1 gig of ram running at 333 MHz.