Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc shuts down

• Please log in to reply

regus

regus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, this is my first post here. As i read the other topics, it seems that there are a lot of experts here.

I just bought myself some new hardware : msi mobo, sata HD, DDRram, and amd processor and a new case.
I assembled it, and it works from the first time. I also putted a cd-rom and diskette-drive in it from my previous computer.

So I started the windows xp setup. After a while, the pc suddenly shuts down. So I try again, and i got a little further, but after a while, again, shut down.
Eventually I succeeded in installing windows xp. But still, when I'm installing other software, the computer shuts down. I mean shutting down with no warning. Just like you pull out the power-connecter.

Then I tried this
* install all windows updates
* flash bios with the newest version.
* tried a differenct cd-rom drive
* moved ram to another slot
* moved sata disk to another slot.
* removed diskette drive
Still no success. But it occured to me that, every time there is needed for a reboot (for example after an update), the computer sais 'logging off', and suddenly, bam !, shut down instead of restarting.

It is also bizar that, when the computer shuts down, there is no power at all. I have to plug out the power-cable, wait 5 minutes, plug it in again, and finally the computer can start up again

Any idea ?

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
sounds like ur heatsink and fan isnt seated correctly there i posted here a few days ago regarding a problem i had any anywa to get to the point i have 2 almost identical pcs so i swapped the processors round and when i did so i had the same problem and it was because the heatsink and fan was the wrong way around i put it the other way which looked upside down and works fine, it could also be a faulty psu but id look at the options with the heatsink and fan first. hope this helps.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello!
I have the same issue, but the PC shuts down randomly, and USUALLY when I have GeForce 5200 FX card installed.
This isn't always the case, though; it has shutdown (no warning, no beep, no message) when using the onboard video.
I built this PC (purchased through Tiger Direct) and made sure that the heatsink/fan/thermal grease were attached and working.
Additionally, I was able to rip a DVD (proc intensive app running for over an hour) and it did not shut down.
Shortly after, I installed the GeForce card and it would not boot at all. Had to unplug/replug power cord and wait 5 seconds. After I removed the card, it booted but then shutdown when I tried to open the DVD tray.
Other weird things; Front USB ports do NOT work; they will "find" a device, but then you cannot use it; read ones work fine, but if you plug in a device into the 1 of the read ports, the pc shuts off. If the side panel on the case is off and you put it back on WHILE the pc is running, sometines it'll power off.
Could I have a serious short somewhere? It sounds more and more like it's main board or a connection issue.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Oooops! Here's the specs: (Built 4/28/05)
Abit KV-80 Via Socket 754 MicroATX Motherboard
AMD Sempron 2800+1.6GHz Processor
Maxtor 60GB ATA-133 EIDE Hard Drive (IDE, I am not running SATA)
XFX GeForce FX 5200 Video Card (1.5 Volt, thought the problem was that it was 3.3)
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
Masscool AMD K8 CPU Cooling Fan
Inland ATX Mid-Tower Case with a 350 Watt Power Supply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Well one thing sticks out and thats the the front usb ports, are you sure they are connected correctly.

Try and disconnect them and see if the problem continues.

What is the name brand of the psu?
What are the amps on the 12v, 3.3v and 5v, this is listed on a decal on the side of the psu.

I am thinking its the psu because when ever you add anything extra, like usb or graphic card it pushes it over the edge and the problems start, plus when you have to unplug to resart its resetting and letting the psu cool to a point were it will work again for awhile

Rick

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for replying!
Proc is an AMD Sempron SP 2800+ / 1.60GHz, Socket 754, 1600MHz.
I think I'm going to check something else (I do not have the pc with me, it is about an hour away but I'll do it this weekend);
1 - I know I did not apply the theral grease evenly.
2 - I need to make sure that something isn't hitting anything on the mobo that will cause it to short.
It ran for over 3 hours (including benchmarking for about 2 minutes), and when I first installed the video card, it ran fine; it started to power off by itself after I tried plugging in speaker jack from into the sound card in the back. The same thing happened when I pushed in the USB device (laptop drive). Maybe this pushing motion caused something to hit.
I'll look more into it Sunday, thanks!

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Greetings all!
I have since ordered and received a new mobo, I will install it tonight. It has to be the mobo based on the following:
1 - Proc intensive apps do NOT cause pc to shutdown (CPU fan/heatsink good)
2 - Front USB ports work randomly
3 - Addition of the GeForce card seems to cause the PC to halt on Loading XP screen, even if video cable is unplugged
4 - Removal of video card, and it boots; it did work the day after I installed it, then PC starting shutting down and wouldn't even turn on at times.
5 - If back panel was pushed (insertion of device into rear USB ports), pc would shutdown.

I'll let whoever is interested if the problem is solved.

Tim

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes keep us posted.

Rick

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Replaced motherboard, moved RAM from DIMM 1 to DIMM 2 bay, It boots much faster, from USB ports work; but....
The same video problem remains.
It is not the proc, has to be the card.

When card is installed but video cable is plugged into the onboard video, no video. Monitor has orange light.
When cable is plugged into video card, system freezes on black XP screen, blue animated progress bar halts, no kb/mouse response.
When card is out, plugged into onboard video, it works fine.
It has to be the card, right?

Edited to add:
I did mention this before, but I was able to run the pc after I installed the video card for a couple of hours. I turned it off and next day, is when I started having problems.
When video cards go bad, is it gradual or instant?

Scratch that; I founf another AGP card and it froze in the exact same place.
I ran Fresh Diagnose and benchmarked the CPU, it does not fry, I can rip and burn a DVD and it dones't hang or overheat.

Aside from flashing the BIOS, what else can I do? This video card and Mobo are compatible; I'll try updating drivers, but beyond I am at a loss.

Edited by hal_jordan, 13 May 2005 - 02:47 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
go to device manager, look for the display adaptors, then system devices. see if there are any exclamation marks anywhere. I suspect you might need to update the chipset driver for your AGP slot. see if you can do the update driver thing on the agp bridge.

beyond that, you could run a repair install of windows. this often helps after changing a motherboard.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
And.....I'm a moron.
I double checked the AGP settinf in BIOS; it was set it 8X/Auto, I set it to 4X and it works fine.

Wonder why auto didn't work?
It's ok, now!
Wheee!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
no moronic moves made on your part! I dont know the details, but some cards are a lot happier at the 4x setting. the performance difference between 4x and 8x is pretty small from what I understand, so dont worry about it.
maybe doby can explain it better.