Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible victim of genuine intelligence

• Please log in to reply

MagicMantis

MagicMantis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello all,

For the past 3 months I have been having a nightmare with malware. I believe I may actually have someone targeting me. I am a web developer so I have scripts that I have personally written myself. I am running sygate, spy sweeper, spy bot, defender and avg. I have done several reinstalls which keep me in the clear for about 3 days. Like always things get really slow. My keyboard goes in reverse order, icons keep popping up, windows updates total up to 73 every time I shut down, windows firewall goes down without warning and will not let me reopen it, mouse will go haywire, and files are randomly moved. How on earth is all of this happening??? I have been installing from the same disks now for 2 years and haven't had any problems until these past few months. My arsenal isn't catching anything until I run scans (which only work sometimes) and I continue to find rootkits, and this stupid msmp.exe file. Is it possible someone is targeting me? and how are they being so successful at it? I'd love to know how. I only surf web development sites and the only possible risky exception is myspace but even then I never open stuff from people I don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'll post a log as soon as I find a way to download hijackthis because it won't download for some reason. Any help? PLEASE!!!

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Are you installing SP2 before accessing the Internet? I would do the following.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Take a look at this page...

http://www.sophos.co...w32rbotfub.html

If you tab through the explanations, it may help you figure out why the problem keeps reoccurring. The msmp.exe thing is definitely an issue.