Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP logins to domain as TEMP

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a XP SP2 machine that was shut down over the weekend by a power outage. When I try to log back into the domain as any user or any admin it always uses the TEMP profile.

Anyone know how I can get rid of this, so users can use their profile?

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi jaxisland.

I've got one troubled XP machine at the office that has this problem a couple of time per month. It's one that I remote into from home.

If it truly logs in with a TEMP profile, reboot and try to log in with the real User again. Otherwise, do a System Restore to the early morning checkpoint or a dayor two before.

I haven't quite got a handle on why it happens to this one machine. Maybe someone else reading this will have some additional ideas.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Here is the problem. Rebooting does not change anything, and the computer has system restore off, so there is no way of going back.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So the User is logging in with his/her User Name and it's coming up like a new profile?

Please browse Documents and Settings. Do you see the User's folder and a TEMP folder?

Do you have a backup of this system?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
There are 3 domain profiles on the machine. They are all there when you login with any of them, as well as the TEMP. No matter who you login in as, it always logs you in as TEMP. I tried logging in as a new user and it logged me in as TEMP. I cannot find a way to login as something other than TEMP.

And when you login for the first time with a user on the machine, it does react like a new user, but it creates the TEMP folder instead of the username like normal.

I have crucial data backups but not whole machine backups.

Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have System State backups? It could be a corrupted registry. Be aware that restoring a registry could cause problems. Try at your own risk.

Try to add a new User, reboot and log in as that new user. Did that work?

Here is some additional information:
http://groups.google...2c66bf7ea8dbea4

http://groups.google...61fb9074da65955

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can backup any important user specific settings (i usually copy out the desktop and favorites from documents and settings) on the system for each user that's on there....then delete the user account from the machine (right click on my computer, properties, advanced, user profiles) then restart and log in again with the account....there might be a corruption in all of the user accounts (why..no idea) that could be forcing the TEMP id to be used...if you completely remove the accounts from the local machine it will force a rebuild of the account

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I did an OS repair from the install CD and it took care of it. I didnt get a chance to try just removing and re-adding the user because I had already started the repair before I read the post.

Thanks for the help!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for letting us know your solution!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No, I lied.

I had someone else work on it, as I was pulled away for something else. They believed it had solved it but did not.

The REAL solution was actually saving important data, removing user, reboot, login as admin, delete both user and TEMP folders under Documents and Settings, add user, reboot, login as new user.

That was the actual fix. Maybe I should check the work before I call it done. Sorry for any confusion!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe so mine worked WOOHOO!

jwulf1092

jwulf1092

• Pip
  • 1 posts
1-21-13
I had a user with similar problem. Windows XP Pro machine on a windows 2003 SBS domain, logging in as a domain user.
Normal practice for this client is to rebooting every night when they go home, and log back in in the morning when they arrive.
Intermittently they would get error that profile could not be found and windows was using a temp profile. The immediate resolution was to do a reboot, and then upon next login, they would get their correct profile. Over a couple days the problem got worse to where a reboot after the profile not found error would not log the user into their proper profile.

This resolution in this post thread also appears to have worked for me. Steps I took:
With Logmein remote access:
I logged in as domain administrator.
Renamed the users profile xxx.backup
Rebooted
I logged in as the user (to let windows create a new user folder)
Logged out and logged back in as admin and copied all important info from the .backup user folder to the windows newly created user folder.
Logged out as admin, back in as the user and set up their outlook, etc...
Turned the PC over to the user. We will see how it works long term...

Edited by jwulf1092, 21 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.