Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 6, page not found im having to hit automatically de

• Please log in to reply

rwsmit1

rwsmit1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Internet Explorer 6, page not found (Cannot find server or DNS Error) im having to hit link on page automatically detect settings, then page loads, it does not do this every time like every 2-3 pages no matter what site, I just bought this laptop, Dell Lattiude D600, XP Pro, it seem to happen after 1 of the following, installations of spybot1.4, Adware SE, or free ZoneAlarm, all have been uninstalled, and restored to an earlier date, only using xp firewall that im aware of, this was an company off lease cpu, may be something else installed, Adware did find Hi-Wire, & removed

Cannot find server or DNS Error, hit detect settings automatically & page loads, & this is also checked auto in settings also,
this happens when im connected wireless, & on dialup, any suggestions welcome

i posted a hi-jack log last nite, around 9:40p.m. cst

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi rwsmit1. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please be patient. We'll need to wait on Malware to give you the "all-clear" before proceeding further, as the problem may get cleared up over there. If you still have this issue after being released by Malware, post a reply to this thread.

If you haven't gotten a response from Malware after three days, post a new topic in the Waiting Room forum and include a link to your original Malware post.

rwsmit1

rwsmit1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank linda,

Problem solved, i never got a response from the malware,hijackthis forum,

The problem was something called SMSC.exe, i kept disabling, it in msconfig, but it always started back,

regedit: i deleted juct the exe.file, and problem solved, been five days, &ok...

had some more probs about popups,but a big thanks to Logreeval,

Vundo fix: and AVG Anti-Spyware, took care of the rest

This AVG Anti-Spyware, iam gonna have to purchase it, it found bots, backdoor, trojans, and a virus that, that Spybot, Adware SE, &spyware blaster, failed to find/fix/block

also the avg anti-spyware, found several more files related to the SMSC.exe,

just wanted you to know,

Thanks