Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Problems

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
You see, i have Cogeco Cable internet at 10mbps, so i usually get over 1 mb/s download, and windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday, we connecter our 2 pc's with a D-link wireless router, but using cables to connect through ethernet. To my surprise, the download speed dropped to about 400 kb/s which is quite frustrating... Is there any way to bring my download speed high again?? Also, i DO play online games (UT2004, in perticular.) And before, when i had 128kbps internet ( :S 16 kb/s download), the game used to always lag, and whenever somebody joined to play simulously on the other computer, the ping would go up from about 50 to 990 :S, so therefore i'm woundering was it the intenet or the router? Is it going to be alrigth with my 10mbps cable??

And one more thing, my dad thought that the double decrease in download speed was caused by the settings, so we tried to go on http:/192.168.0.1/ (something like that, can't remember), and it says to put the username as admin, and leave the password blank, but it doesn't log on... How do we log onto the page to configure? or is it just not the settings??

All in all, thank you in advance for your help

ANY advice will be HIGHLY appreciated

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Were you getting 1 mb/s without the router and now only 400 kb/s with the router regardless whether 1 PC or 2 is hooked up to it?

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yes, and now i tried to connect the modem to the PC through ethernet, to download some stuff, and i still get like 4mbps... :whistling: i'm really frustrated

any help would be highly appreciated

thank you

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If that is the case, then it is neither the router's fault nor your fault. If you have the PC directly attached to the modem and are getting the same speeds, it is your service. You say you are using Cable? Cable will never give you a stable speed.

I quote, straight from my college book:

Being a shared media structure, the more users that come on the network means less available bandwidth for users

Cable connections are shared with everything that is cable. This includes cable TV. So if everyone in your neighborhood has their cable TVs on and cable internet on, everyone will have a slower speed at that time because it is all being shared.

You may call your ISP and see if they are experiencing heavy usage at this time, or are having any problems. But it definately isn't your fault or the router's fault since it is the same speed either way.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
thanks man

Cheers