Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The SIMS Hot Date (Unpirated)

• Please log in to reply

Sirach

Sirach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Howdy. I remember back a number of years ago, I purchased and attempted to install The SIMS Hot Date, but it kept asking me for data2.cab which did not seem to exist anywhere on either my The SIMS installation CD (Unpirated) or Hot Date expansion CD. This was back when Maxis seemed to support this particular game, and I do remember them helping me solve the problem, but now that it is how ever many years later, I can't remember what the solution was. I think data2.cab is actually stored within data1.cab, but am uncertain.

Can you please help? Just a reminder that both of these are legally obtained unpirated copies.

Edited by Sirach, 16 April 2007 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi and Sirach and welcome to G2G!

Try manually installing it.
http://support.ea.co...amp;p_topview=1

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just finished trying that, but I get the same issue. It still can't find data2.cab

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Do you have a different CD/DVD drive you can try?

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No I do not.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried changing the transfer mode of your drive to PIO only mode?

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How do I go about doing that?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Go into device manager > click the + sign to expand the tree on DVD/CD-ROM drives > double click your DVD drive and it should give you the location. See picture 1.

Picture 1:

Posted Image

The Location for the device will either be 0 or 1.

Close that window > double click Primary IDE Channel > change the transfer mode of the corresponding device.

Location 0 = device 0 and location 1 = device 1. See picture 2.

Picture 2:

Posted Image

If the corresponding device is greyed out check the Secondary IDE Channel.

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Same problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ea support has nothing related to this in the knownledge base. You may have to contact them. Please note they may charge you a small fee for help.

Googled online and the only info I found was related to pirated versions of this game having this same issue.

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know EA helped me with this before, with my original CD. I am now using my backup as my original was kindly destroyed by the cable guy (He dropped his staple gun on it.) Even though the message is telling me it can't find data2.cab, there actually is not supposed to be any such file. The install is trying to read data1.cab, but is not seeing what it expects, so it assumes the file it is looking for is in the next sequencial .cab file. I seem to remember EA directing me to an InstallShield patch which seemed to solve the issue. It's been so long, that I just don't remember.

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all your help. I finally decided to look at the data1.cab file and noticed it is quite a bit smaller than it probably should be. I have a bad backup. I sure wish I had verified my backup instead of assuming it burned correctly.

Thanks again for all your help. Without a good data1.cab, there is nothing that can be done.

Cheers!

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
You know theres a Sims 2, right?

Sirach

Sirach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, would you like to purchase me a copy? Until then, I'm happy with the original.