Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dell Inspiron 2200

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2200 that was going fine until it got screwed up by McAffee AntiVirus. It was really really slow. I have gotten rid of McAffee and installed AVG but it is STILL slow. Partly because it only has 246MB RAM which is poor. I intend to upgrade the RAM which is no problem. I also thought that re-booting the Laptop might help (not sure if that is the correct technical term for it) but where you put the boot disk in and it wipes everything and starts again, returns it to its factory settings. I did this plenty of times on my old computer so all I needed was the boot disk that does it all for you...

There is NO boot disk. At all. None of the Dell Laptops that other friends/family have appear to have them. The only thing I found was a disk that installed XP, I tried to use it and it looked promising but all it has done is delete the old XP on the laptop and replace it with a new one, with all the old files STILL in the drive. It has also somehow gotten rid of the box in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that allows me to view the avaliable wireless connections and therefore I cannot access the internet at all. (I am using a friends laptop)

Whats wrong with it?

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You are referring to what is known as a "Recovery Disc" which should have been supplied with your Dell PC when new. It re-installs evrything as it was when it left the factory, including all the device drivers for any internal hardware such as a built-in wireless adapter. Because you have used a standard Microsoft XP disc instead, the drivers for your particular PC are missing which is why the wireless device doesn't work.

Go to the Dell website and look on their customer support section for assistance.