Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot issues

• Please log in to reply

Opinionated Drone

Opinionated Drone

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all. I am new here, hope to be a more frequent visitor. I am a computer tech, but this one is baffeling even me.

here's my specs:

ASUS P4S800
INTEL P4 2.80 HT
MEM0: 512
MEM1: 256
HDD0: 30GB (PRI MASTER)
HDD1: 115GB (PRI SLAVE)
OPT0: DVD-RW (SEC MASTER)

Okay, now, here's my problem.
This rig has worked great for about two years. I have reconfigured, reformatted, added and removed cards, etc., for a all that time without problems. Then one day, I go to boot and get ... nothing.
That's strange, I'm thinking, so I try to re-boot ... nothing.
No video just means the video card must be burned out, so I replace my AGP card with another AGP card I had lying around... no change.
So I reset the bios ... no change.
So I add a PCI video card ... no change. Still no video, no beep, no boot.
So, I tried a different monitor ... nothing.
So I pulled everything except the PSU, CPU, RAM, and video card ... no change.
So I called a friend, told him what was going on, he says "test the PSU"
So I buy a Voltimeter ... the PSU is working fine.

So, here I am. I have narrowed my problem down to either the CPU, or Motherboard. Even without RAM I still don't get a beep error like I should.
When I have the unit powered down for about one full minute, and power it up, I get a very faint beep that might be either the motherboard powering on or a CPU failure beep, but nothing else. The fans work, the lights work, the PSU registers every wire at the correct voltage.

I found my warranty for the processor, but do not want to ship it off for a replacement from Intel until I am sure of what the problem is.

Thank you all for your help.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The way u narowed it down the problem the best way to check is to connect the CPu to anothe computer. Just to c if that is the problem.

Opinionated Drone

Opinionated Drone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No other compatable computer around to plug the cpu into, unfortunately.

does anyone else have any idea?

the only beep I get is when I turn it on after it has been unplugged for a bit -- it's a brief, faint beep. Is that a processor bad indication?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It sounds like the mother board because from experiance if the cpu is gone then it won't beep at all.