Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Help!

• Please log in to reply

victor mizrahi

victor mizrahi

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey guys can someone help me im having problems with windows media player? Maybe over half of the time now all of a sudden when i start playing any video on windows media player my hole computer freezes and im stuck to turn my computer off manually. Ive tried checking for spyware or viruses but nothing helped can someone help me????

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What version of wmp are you using? If it's 11 then go to control panel > add/remove programs and remove wmp11. This will roll you back to an earlier version of wmp (probably 10). See if it makes any difference.

victor mizrahi

victor mizrahi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i tried that still no difference

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Remove and reinstall wmp. Go to control panel > add/remove programs > click add/remove windows component > uncheck windows media player. Restart the computer and repeat the process this time checking the wmp box. You may need xp installation cd.

If still no good download and install codec pack from this link.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
if all else fails, I'd recommend using a different media player. ALShow is THE BEST one out there and probably one of the most overlooked programs ever. It comes with all codecs needed to play all kinds of files and most other players make you pay for extra codecs. AlShow is completely free. It doesn't get any better then that.

geez, I sound like a tv commercial... lol