Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem loading web pages

• Please log in to reply

purplkoala

purplkoala

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am not sure when this problem began, but for a while now, I have certain web pages that I am unable to access. I have reloaded windows with no luck. I got a new hard drive and still can not go to certain cites, such as weather.com, continental.com (airline), realage.com and msc. pages.

The message I get is: "The connection has timed out. The server at www.(name of site).com is taking too long to respond."

We had time warner and now have Verizon. I had the problem with both carriers.

My husband has no problems getting to any site he types in. We don't have anything blocked that we know of so we just have no clue what is going on with the computer.

Also, when I am surfing the web a lot, I will start having problems with more sites loading (such as those I normally have no problems with) and I end up having to reboot the computer.

Valerie

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to connect your computer to your husband's connection and see what happens.

purplkoala

purplkoala

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I still have the same problem. We also tried changing the cords that run from my computer to the verizon box.

I also have problems on and off staying online w/ msn. Once that starts to disconnect and then reconnect, end up having to reboot my machine. this can happen a few times during the day. It's very frustrating.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download winsock for xp from here. Run it. If this doesn't help please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my signature). Please take all the preliminary steps. After they confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, please post back to this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
or without downloading anything if you have SP2 please go to start run type CMD and press enter

then type in

netsh winsock reset catalog.

That will reset the winsock configuration.