Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Won't Turn On. Power Switch? Or something else?

• Please log in to reply

duraysteeus

duraysteeus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All,

I have a custom built computer that has run smoothly for the last year or so.

Today, my wife put the computer on standby and when she went to turn it back on later - nothing happened. When I came home I pushed the power switch on the case and there was nothing (as though it was unplugged).

Now, I'm a veteran PC builder and user. I'm not a HUGE expert, but I've solved most of my problems. So, I went through all the troubleshooting steps. I tried resetting the surge protector. Unplugging and re-plugging everything (including the power supply cable that goes to the motherboard). I cleared the CMOS and still nothing.

Then, I went ahead and tested the power supply with a power supply tester. All the lights went up and the fans connected to the power supply (and the power supply fan) turned on. Then, as soon as I plugged the cable back into the motherboard - back to nothing again when I pushed the power button on the case.

I thought that it might have been the motherboard, but there's a little green light (which has always been there) that stays on the motherboard when the computer is plugged in (showing that power is going to the motherboard). I had no other symptoms on this computer leading up to this EXCEPT for the fact that that power switch has proven flaky in the past. Once when I moved into a new apartment, I had to push the power button several times before it came back on.

So I guess what I'm needing is to ask you all: IS IT SAFE TO ASSUME THIS IS A BAD POWER BUTTON ON THE CASE? Or is there something else that could be a likely culprit????

I really appreciate your time.

-Dustin

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Hi Dustin
Here is a way to check thepower button.
Open the case of the computer look at the connection of the power switch on the Mother Board. disconnect only the power connector switch and short the 2 probes with a screwdriver. (At this stage the power should be connected)
If it is only the switch the computer will boot.

Tell us what u have found to c if u need more help.

duraysteeus

duraysteeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
By "short" the 2 probes, do you mean just touch them with a screwdriver?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
On the mothr board the power button has 2 thin wires connected to the mother board via a "square" conector on the mother board (the same kind that you connect the front usb port).
un plug the wires fro the power switch on the mother board and you will c to little metal pins sticking up take screw driver regular or philips and carefully conect the 2 pins.
If you still dont understand I'll post a picture tomorrow.
(sorry if im missing a few letters mt kyboard at home is giving me trouble)