Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runtime Error - Program:C:\Program Files\Internet\Explo

• Please log in to reply

Nicola

Nicola

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi there, sorry to bother you guys, but I keep getting the following message when trying to use the Internet:

Runtime Error

Program:C\Program Files\Internet\Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the applications support team for more information.

When I ok this message, the Internet Shuts Down, and I loose everything I was typing/doing.

Also my Internet Connections sometimes shuts down for no reason?

Thanks for your assistance

Nicola.

Edited by Nicola, 17 April 2007 - 03:50 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download and install winsockXPFIX.exe from here.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi

Thanks for your reply

I think I've done what you asked, ended up installing RegCure? Not sure if this was the right thing to do but there were so many to choose from.

Anyway I ran the scan, and RegCure found 1271 Problems, It is now asking for a Licence Key??

Have I done something wrong?

Sorry to be a pain, not brill with this sort of thing, and it dosn't help that my Internet Connection keeps shutting down without warning.

Thanks Again

I shall await further instructions.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's not what I ment. For some reason I can't find winsock in the link I gave you. Please use this link. Sorry.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi

Have loaded the fix, it seemed to load ok and told me that it had fixed the errors.

Had to restart computer, will the error messages stop now?

Also the Reg thing that I loaded last night will not allow me to remove it when I go into Add/Remove Programmes, it says that it is corrupt?

Do you know how I can remove/uninstall it from my computer?

Thanks again

Nicola.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and install Unlocker (link in my signature). Use it to remove the corrupted program.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
When trying to download the unlocker I am getting the following message:

NSIS Error

The Installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete ....

Sorry to be a pain.

What can I do now?

Thanks

Nicola.

Whilst on the Internet today, it closed again without any reason, any ideas what else I could try to fix this problem. So far today the error messages have stopped. Still unable to uninstall the Reg thing I loaded in error last nite though, any help/assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks Nicola.

Spoke to soon, just had the run time error again, HELP.

Thanks Nicola.

Edited by Nicola, 18 April 2007 - 07:16 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this:

1: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of time until
nothing left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. My personal choices are Spybot
Search and Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware. Run your Antivirus. Run full scans, preferably in safe mode. It may take a while so be patient. Run them one at a time,

4: Run disk defrag.

5: insert xp cd into the drive and type start run > sfc /scannow. A dialod box will show up and disappear when the process completes.

Please report the results of the scans.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
First of all, thanks for your reply.

Will follow instructions, then post back, may take a while as have to do school run, but I will post back once completed.

Secondly, I don't have a XP disk as when I purchased the computer the software was already loaded by Packard Bell.

Back later

Thanks Nicola.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Me again

I know I'm becoming a pain, sorry!

Am Unable to download CCLeaner as getting the msg:

NSIS Error

The Installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete .............

Nicola

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download ccleaner, unlocker and other programs that you may need on another computer. Burn to a cd or copy to a flash memory and install on your computer.

I have a feeling that you have malware causing the problems. If what you do now don't help then I will probably ask you to re-post in the malware forum.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi

Don't have access to another Internet computer anymore, shall I try and follow the Malware procedures first then post a new topic in the malware forum?

Thanks Nicola.

Having just restarted my computer following a complete freeze up, it has now allowed me to remove the regclean programme I loaded last night, by going into Add/Remove Programmes, therefore I'm gonna try following your last lot of instructions with exception of inserting the xp disk as stated before as I don't have one.

Hope this is ok,

will post back once all instructions completed (if it will now allow me to do so)

Nic

Edited by Nicola, 18 April 2007 - 10:35 AM.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok here goes,

Search and Destroy Scan - No immediate threats were found.

AVG Spyware - 1 Tracking cookie.paypal Found and Deleted.

AVG Antivirus - No Threats Found.

Done Disk Defrag.

As mentioned not able to follow last instruction as do not have xp disk.

What should I do now, as yet today, no error messages recieved, but computer very slow to log on and off.

Thanks for your assistance

Nicola.

Edited by Nicola, 19 April 2007 - 04:40 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So, we made some progress didn't we (at least I hope so) Please do the following:

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup"
tab and uncheck everything which is not essential. Leave only antimalware programs running (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting you will get a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run PageDefrag (link in my signature). his program defrags system and page files which are not defragged by "ordinary" defraggers. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

3: Enter task manager and in Performance tab look for physical memory. Please report the total and how much is available.

4: Please report the volume of your hard disk and how much free space is available. Enter My Computer, right click drive C: and report the details.

Nicola

Nicola

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Def making progress!! Thanks

Will follow instructions and post back.

Thanks

Nicola.