Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP HELP, noob is stuck! (Half-Life2)

• Please log in to reply

abruptum

abruptum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all!

I'm having challenges with halflife 2 launching. I've installed steam and HL2 with no issues. But when I attempt to launch the game it gives me the "Preparing to launch HL2" window, then it disappears and nothing happens.

I'm running XP (sp2), AMD 1990 processor, radeon 9550 card, piles of ram and everything seems to be working ok except for HL2.

I'm also unable to run deathmatch...

I hope someone has encountered this and will be able to help me.

Thanks in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go to Steam. Under "my games" select hl2. Right click on hl2 and select properties. Click on the Local Files tab. Select "verify game cache integrity".

abruptum

abruptum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did that, but nothing, all the files were verified. Still the same issue, the "preparing to launch HL2" window pops up, I hear my hard drive start to work then poof.... nothing.

Edited by abruptum, 17 April 2007 - 12:21 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello abruptum and welcome to G2G!

Have you tried reinstalling the game/steam?

abruptum

abruptum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the welcome!

I have tried reinstalling steam and HL2... but the same issue keeps arising. Truthfully, it's becoming a bit frustrating! I had steam do the test on my computer and everything passed. So, I know steam is working. When I try to launch the game, the window pops up, the hard drive starts working then nothing.

Maybe it has something to do with Java?

Cheers.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Check out the Steam troubleshooting support article on steampowered.com that might shed some light on the problem.

http://support.steam...amp;p_topview=1

abruptum

abruptum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the link... but apparently I don't have permission to access this document... sheesh :whistling:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Go onto http://support.steam...nduser/home.php and type "Preparing to launch" (sans quotes) in the search box. Check out the first two articles.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 19 April 2007 - 08:45 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
This can happen if you have hardware acceleration turned down (I'm not sure how much). The same thing happens to me, when I click the launch button the process "hl2.exe" shows up for only a second and then disappears. So if you have hardware acceleration turned down, turn it back up.