Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing a driver/programs from CD

• Please log in to reply

drew250

drew250

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

This is technically a hardware problem but I think it's down to a software issue. I've tried installing a Graphic Pad onto my desktop computer and for a start when I plug in the pad Windows just installs a windows driver meaning the pad doesn't work properly. I put the driver cd in and tried to install the driver from the autoplay menu that popped up but it just freezes for a while and then refreshes the menu with a tick next to the 'install driver' icon even though nothing has happened.

The only thing that does happen is that when I shut down the computer WOWEXEC tries to close but fails, and I get a System error message saying a 'Win16 subsystem task could not be performed, the Win16 subsystem may be unstable, do you want to shut it down?'

I've tried running the driver from the device manager but the driver program isn't recognised.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Did you try in reverse order?

Install the drivers from the CD, then plug in the device?

Before you do so, make sure you remove the device's entry in Device Manager.

drew250

drew250

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did try that, I removed the device from the device manager but the driver just wouldn't install from the CD

drew250

drew250

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh dear. It turns out this problem extends to other areas. I tried installing a program I downloaded from the internet and it initiated the installation and then nothing happened but I did get those messages again upon shutting down. Can anybody help?