Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation Issues with a U3 Device

• Please log in to reply

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I have a USB drive that came with the U3 software on it. It is a GeekSquad one and it holds 1GB of data. Whenever I try to install applications on it from the U3 website, they all fail. There are currently no programs on the drive. I am installing the programs on the device from a Gateway MX6440. The error message says: Installation of <program> has failed. Please help me. Thank you! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Its a fruitless exercise to "install" programs onto a pen drive because they're not designed for this. Some programs will not have it at all.

Alternatively you may be taking about an external USB hard drive. Again, some programs don't like this.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
It is not an external hard drive, just a USB thumb drive. Since installs would not work, I removed the U3 software and have done the installs myself to a folder on the drive. The only programs I want to run off of it are:

JkDefrag - Open source defragmenter
TuneXP - Windows tweak utility
CWShredder - You know what this is
Stinger - Virus removal tool

CWShredder I know will work due to the fact that it runs from only one file and doesn't require an installation. The others have a few files that are installed when I run their setups so I will see if they will run this way. I would have liked to install Firefox and OpenOffice this way but I am not sure if they will run off the drive due to the larger number of files that are installed for them.