Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm Madness

• Please log in to reply

Mick II

Mick II

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had problems downloading from certain sites. I keep getting an error 403 in IE and Mozilla disallowing me access to download. I had tweakmaster installed and used it to increase my connection speed. I have since uninstalled it and tried to use System Restore to go to a healthier point, but it won't restore to any point. The biggest goof of all is that I download torrents and have left my computer on downloading for hours at a time. I set Zone Alarm to allow only Utorrent access to the internet if left unattended. I came home one day to find a warning that Zone Alarm had to close. Now I got spooked. Ever since, I have had thousands of blocked intrusions and the problem with downloading has occurred. I run Spybot Search and Destroy regularly as well as Zone Alarm Pro's deep scan and Norton Antivirus 2005 full scan and it comes up with nothing except 2 in quarantine from about a month ago: Idup.exe and inform.exe

I have had trouble using ghost 9.0 to restore my C:Drive image. I have used updated RAID drivers and in recovery environment it recognizes all my drives and partitions but gives me an error when I browse and select my back up image disallowing me to go any further.

Can I go to a system restore point bypassing the Accessories/System Tools/System Restore method? Do you have any advice for the ghost problem? Or, should I do a clean install of XP SP2?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You may try to open ghost backup file on another computer to see if you can use it at all. If the ghost is on another partition in the same disk move the disk to another computer and connect your disk in place of the primary disk of the other computer (make sure the other computer disks are physically disconnected to avoid accidental overwrite)

If you succeed in opening the backup the chances are that it won't work on the other computer because the ghost contains data of hardware and drivers of your computer. Rturn the disk to your computer and see what happens.

Backup all valuable data before taking this step. I have done this successfully but had some problems with drive letters and some drivers which I managed to fix somehow. I don't like this process at all and did it just because I had no other option.