Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't burn DVD's

• Please log in to reply

damnsmooth

damnsmooth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My notebook stopped burning dvd's. It will still burn a cd but when I try to do a dvd it does nothing. The dvd program I'm using is working but when it finishes and I try to play it, it tells me "no disc in drive". Same with a dvd player "cannot play disc". It never did this before, I was always able to burn movies with no problem. What could the problem be and how do I fix it? Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Advertisements

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
#1 different dvd players will be able to play different file types on dvds. This could definitely be the problem so try playing it on another dvd player preferably a newer one if you have access to one. In my home, we have one that will play avi files and one that won't for example.

#2 some dvd writing programs will format the files so a dvd player can read them but not actually put them onto the disk. Sometimes there is an option to "write to dvd" where if it isn't checked, it will write the files to a backup folder on your comp. Put the dvd in your computer and see if you can pull up the files on the disk to make sure they are actually there.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
since the drive uses different lasers for dvd and cd it's possible that your drive either needs to be cleaned or replaced...