Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TCP-IP lost, network connection lost

• Please log in to reply

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I boot my laptop without connecting to a network the IP-adress is lost and I can't get any network connections. (XP Professional)
I have this situation
At work
laptop connected to server, O: server hard drive
On the road
I copied all of O: content to D: on my laptop, now most programs stil refer to O: in stead of D: and I cannot change all of them. So I created a network connection O: that points to D: on the laptop (with a different user)
The network connection only works when I connect to a network (any network), when not connected at all I only get media disconnected and network connection doesn't work at all.

;) :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nor should it....

You cannot get a network connection to work without a network connection.....even if you remap a mapped drive through the network to the local drive....I have never even heard of someone doing this.

What is your goal here? To be able to access data and use programs that work across the network to a network drive?

What are the programs?

sbaens

sbaens

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was able to create this when I was using winNT
Just since this one with win XP I can't get it.
I looked at the web-site from microsoft and they mention it has something to do with media sensing. XP checks if you there is a cable connected, if not the system doesn't allow browsing through network neighbourhoud.
So I need the nethwork neighbourhoud when using it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, well, winnt is a big hole in my computing knowledge, so I will take your word for it.

Stands to reason that disabling media sensing would perhaps address your issue

http://support.micro...com/kb/q239924/

I had a similar situation and what I did is wrote a batch script to alter various configuration files to point to the local drives, so that is where I was going.

sbaens

sbaens

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the link,

I didn't get that yet,
I tried the IPX protocol but with no result,
Register editing works.
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I tried the IPX protocol but with no result ????

Did you install ipx/spx for your connection? It is not a default protocol and not installed on XP

sbaens

sbaens

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That link mentioned that media sensing does not work with IPX so I installad the IPX/SPX protocol but that doesn't make any difference.
Network neigbourghoud is still unavailable after this.
Changing the registry worked as mentioned before.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, OK...

....glad I could help point you in a good direction and the information you provided will prove useful, I am sure.

Thanks

sbaens

sbaens

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello Again,

I had the problem with not beiing able to connect to my own computer when network connection was lost, media sensing seemed to work at first but I sometimes had problems with it and was looking for something new.

After some time I found a way to install a loopback adapter in windows XP that always is available and all problems are solved. I found the information here:

http://www.windowsne...Windows-XP.html

So anyone with a similar need take a look there and it will work :tazz: