Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to get rid of IE!

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I went under add/remove windows components and got rid of IE, then i went to set program access and defaults, and i set firefox as default........but now when i clik windows update i still go to IE and it installs spy ware and i get invaded by pop-ups

any ideas?

Matt :tazz:

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
you can't download windows updates, it will ONLY work with IE, it keeps it there an lauches it, sorry to say, if you really don't want IE invading your syste, you can do 1 of 2 things, 1, go linux, or 2 buy a EU version of XP

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
it's becoming clear that it's impossible to get rid of

it's too built in to the XP operating system

just delete the icon and never use it

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
im not sure if this works, I still want ie for updates, but go to:

www.stopie.com

that has links and ways to help you get rid of it. i'm not sure if it really works, but make a backup of your computer just in case. i always thought it was impossible to get rid of ie since it was built into the os. just an opinion

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
you cannot delete ie
windows update only works with ie

also if you do all of the config of like norton or other programs will be messed
i have personally tried it and i had a whole bunch of things messed up

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Boot in dos mode and delete the folder, however. A lot of programs use the IE control, (like Half-Life). So that probably wouldn't be wise :tazz:

Zac

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
You don't need Internet Explorer to be able to access Windows Updates - as long as you've got your Automatic Updates set to the recommended settings, whichever updates your computer requires from Microsoft will automatically be downloaded and installed onto the system, IE or no IE.

That having been said, your computer just absolutely will not do without Internet Explorer which is, essentially, the web browser that comes built-in with all Windows operating systems. Microsoft created IE, and they have made it so that you will never be able to rid the computer of it. You can use the Add/Remove Windows components tool to remove IE, but certain websites and/or programs that have been made to only be able to work with IE will still open up the webpage in IE.

I myself, I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, although lately I've found myself using the beta build of their latest project, Deer Park Alpha 1 more often. Both are fast, efficient, secure and put Internet Explorer completely to shame, although that's besides the point. Bottom line is, use any alternative browser that is not Internet Explorer as your default Internet browser, and just ignore that little blue 'e' lying around somewhere in your computer. Programs that absolutely require IE to work are, really, getting rarer to come across and if a website needs to install an Active X control on your system in order to run smoothly, screw it. Unless it is from a reputable company like Zonelabs or the like - and even so, you most likely won't need it for your PC to work.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;192852

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
If you don't update windows (which I advise against), go to add/remove programs and take it out...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;192852

View Post

phybyr0ptyk, that support article is for ie4.5 for the MAC.

jacobusmatthew, you have done about all you can do. I highly recomend that you adjust your automatic windows updates to do the updating for you. They are correct bout http://windowsudpate.microsoft.com/ needing to be run through IE.

Just understand that many things require ie or elements of ie. IE is pretty well written into the system shell. If you want you can look up alternative system shells and see what they can do for you. Do this at your own risk.

starjax