Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking - what hardware do I need?

• Please log in to reply

miranda

miranda

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just signed up for broadband, but I want to make a wireless connectiopn for my laptop, too. I am confused about all the hardware available. I will get a modem with the Broadband package; but do I have to ditch this, and buy a separate one which also has a wireless router to connect to the laptop?

And what do I need for the laptop? Is it a card thing that slots inside? Or a USB connector that looks like squashed cigar ? Or a little thing like an aerial with a USB connector? What is the difference between all these things? Please help!

I want something easy to install, cheap, and reliable.
Miranda

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Hey there are a variaty of ways on which u can do this u would obviously need 2 wireless card for each system u intend to connect to and a wirless hub (access point) or a router, either would work but ill tell u the pros and cons.

.a hub would be cheaper but it would mean that u would have to share the modem over the network which would mean that what ever system the modem was connected to would have to be switched on or the other systems wouldnt be able to access the network.

A wireless router would be alittle more expensive (i dont think there alot more expensive then wirless hubs tho) but would mean that each system has an independant connection to the system which is obviously alot better and another advantage is that u wouldnt need to dail the adsl modem up the router would just be perminantly connected to the internet.

its entirely up to u but i would suggest a router based on what ive already said.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
sorry for some reason i put u would need 2 card for each system this is not so its 1 per system.

miranda

miranda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! I think I will go for the router. But these wireless cards - do I need one for each PC or just one for the laptop?

And are these other products that I've seen - the USB 'cigar' thing and the USB 'aeriel' thing the same as the wireless card but located outside the machine? Or are they something different altogether?
Miranda

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i think they are wireless cards aswell but what u want really is a pci card and if i was to reccomend a manufactorer i would say dlink are a nice choice we have a few wirless products by them at home and my router is dlink and i dont have any problems, and yes if u have 1 pc and 1 laptop u will need a wireless card for the pc and a wireless card for the laptop if u need any help choosing a product or to be shown what it is exacly just let me know and ill find u some links.

hope this helps.