Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply problem?

• Please log in to reply

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok I recently bought parts from tigerdirect and built me a brand new computer. Today I was burning a dvd and once it got to the part where it actually starts burning it, it started telling me there was insufficient power. I then closed a bunch of programs and it continued and burned the dvd perfectly.

I'm guessing my computer doesn't have enough power to burn a dvd and run idle programs in the background? Does this mean the power supply I bought sucks or something?

power supply I bought

This is a screenie of the power my system is using. Is it bad? It's a 600 watt power supply so how is that not enough!?
Posted Image

Trust me when I say rewiring my computer because of power problems is the last thing I'm looking forward to doing right now... Anything I can do?

Edited by TotallyKonfuzed, 17 April 2007 - 11:41 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

it started telling me there was insufficient power

This is the first time I have ever head of a message like this.
What make is you're burner? What program r u burning with?
The message came from the operating system or the burning program?
Did it wait till it had enough power to continue or did u need to press ok?
Is there a chance u can make it happen again and post the message?

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
the burner drive is bran new and I know it works cause I've used it a few times before this time. I left it alone for a while and when I returned it was saying something like

"power calibration area error- retry attempt 8/20"
...pause
"power calibration area error- retry attempt 9/20"
...another pause
"power calibration area error- retry attempt 10/20"
...ect

I then closed a bunch of background stuff and it started saying "loading..." n stuff like that. I use a program called "DVD Flick" which is freeware and like I said, I've used it a few times already without errors. (i must not have had anything else running)

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I looked it up on google and here is what I found.

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).

This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (almost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

1. Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.

2. Try another brand of media.

3. Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.

4. Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.

5. Send the recorder in for service.

It doesn't matter what the program is there is a technical problem with burnning.

Look at the bright side. you're power supply is OK

Tell us what is happenning