Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Problem, Help Please.

• Please log in to reply

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Someone posted a topic similiar to this but i think my problem is a little different.

When i boot up my computer or restart after the dell screen it goes onto that screen with the blinking cursor in the top lefthand corner. The weird thing is that all the stuff i have read about this says windows then get's stuck on this screen. Unlike many others, my computer dosent get stuck on the screen It just sits there for about 5-10Minutes before starting windows.

Im guessing this cant be good and i want to hopefully fix this before i fall into the category where windows never loads, so any help will be greatly appriciated.

If any extra information is needed to help solve my problem, just ask ill be glad to tell.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any difference using safe mode?

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im 90% Sure it's the same thing but i'll check quick.

EDIT : I tried, and its still the same amount of waiting time.

Edited by Sodapizzop, 18 April 2007 - 12:19 AM.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Keith can probably help more then me but have you searched for an updated version of your BIOS? Sometimes that can fix boot problems. Check your loading lights on your tower too. Are any of them staying on or blinking hard while it's paused? Sometimes a messed up cd drive will load and load till it finally gives up.

If it's loading a long time BEFORE it shows a windows logo or something, it's doubtful it's a windows related problem in my eyes.

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ill Definatly try all that, one thing though, how would i go about updating my BIOS?

And offtopic i didnt really know what sort of problem this was so this post could be in the wrong spot.

Also thanks for everyone who has responded so far.

EDIT: When i restart my computer, when it's on the black screen w/ cursor on top the light on the tower is solid, and nothing sounds like its trying to load just the low sound of the fan, and when it finally makes it to the Windows screen it makes a faint click noise.

Also, about BIOS, how could i find out if mine is the current version or even wha version i have?

Edited by Sodapizzop, 18 April 2007 - 01:30 AM.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
look up your motherboard and hopefully you'll find a BIOS update for it. BE CAREFUL messing with bios though, you can REALLY screw things up so be sure u have the correct file before actually going though with it.

EDIT:
Open Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. Here you will find System Summary on the left and its contents on the right. BIOS info will be listed there.

Edited by TotallyKonfuzed, 18 April 2007 - 01:35 AM.

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Humm, before i mess with anything you think i should just leave it? or do you think eventually the screen will be permanatly stuck, this has been going on for about a month now. There was about a week where the computer started up normal w/o waiting, then went back to doing it again. I think its a hardwear problem more then the operating system but im not sure. Ive asked around before and everyone is pretty much clueless

EDIT: For the bios i think its old, it says "Dell Computer Corporation A05, 1/27/2003"

also thanks for all you're help.

Edited by Sodapizzop, 18 April 2007 - 01:40 AM.

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Do me another quick favor and tell me what that system info says for "system manufacturer" and for "system model".

It's up to you if you want to fix this or not. I successfully updated my bios a while back with no problems. I've just heard some horror stories in the past about it.

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
System Manufacturer = Dell Computer Corporation
System Model = Dimension 4550

the computer has alot of addons, i added another 512ram, a NVIDIA GeForce 6600, Apple Keyboard, Razor mouse, and an Acer monitor.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

TotallyKonfuzed

TotallyKonfuzed

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok try what Keith told you first and see if it helps. THIS is the newest update for your bios should you decide to update it.

Sodapizzop

Sodapizzop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay ill get right on that stuff, as soon as i locate my cd ill tell you what happend.

Thank you so much for both of you're help.